Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CBN Grinding Wheels Evaluation

They might. Thing is that diamond is intended for carbide, CBN is intended for steel. I think you need very fine grit wheels for that type of carbide.

robo hippy

Jeff - re refurbed 5" wheel - are you sharpening bowl gouges on it? Do you find the extra concave shape to be a problem?

Steve, it is a standard round shape with the grit on the edge like a regular grinding wheel so no problem at all. It has a 1 1/4" hole in the center and 1" width on the edge face. He had another one that was at a slight angle but the grit was on the edge face also and it was wider. I thought about getting it too, but I did not need both to play with. Search ebay for CBN grinding wheel, item # 35b445dd78

works for me!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harder View Post
    Jeff - re refurbed 5" wheel - are you sharpening bowl gouges on it? Do you find the extra concave shape to be a problem?
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-10-2011 at 7:27 AM. Reason: to remove ebay link
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I got my 80 grit on last night, and sharpened up a number of tools and scrapers. That is one very aggressive wheel. I have the 30 and 45 grit wheels that were on my Baldor when I got it, and the D Way 80 grit removes steel faster than those.

I was talking to Mike Mahoney about them and how they cut, and an interesting thing that he bought up was that the 180 was too fine for him, and he liked the way the 80 cut better. Main reason was that he preferred a 'more serrated' edge for cutting. Another point he bought up was how much different cutting dry wood to finish was than finish cutting on green wood was. He didn't feel that shear cuts with a scraper were as effective on dry wood. Hmmmmmmm...... Looks like I have some more experimenting to do.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan View Post
    I have a question.

Will these wheels sharpen the carbide bits from Easy Wood Tools?

I emailed Dave and he said they would sharpen the carbide bits.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I agree with John on the high speed sander. The main problem with high speed would be the amount of metal removed. But, you can be gentle. Like Harvey, I quickly touch up the flute on the powdered metal tools with a diamond hone. It helps make the scary sharp edge even better. I am glad people are liking these new wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post

I was talking to Mike Mahoney about them and how they cut, and an interesting thing that he bought up was that the 180 was too fine for him, and he liked the way the 80 cut better. Main reason was that he preferred a 'more serrated' edge for cutting......

robo hippy
    At the Olympia (WA) symposium last month Mike had to sharpen his tools on the D-Way wheels and made that same comment.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

these wheels sound like they will wear down your gouge in about 2 seconds? am I going to have to be really careful if I go the CBN route? Id hate to burn through a nice expensive gouge quick.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

9. Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    these wheels sound like they will wear down your gouge in about 2 seconds? am I going to have to be really careful if I go the CBN route? Id hate to burn through a nice expensive gouge quick.
    It ain't nearly as scary as it sounds, Adrian two or three times at the wheel and you'll be on your way! Start with a light touch and get a feel for how much metal is coming off, and you will be fine!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I got a 180 grit wheel from Dave at Dway two weeks ago. First of all the service was amazing. I ordered at the end of the business day and the order was acknowledged that evening, shipped the next day. There was a slight issue with the bushing which I took care of but mentioned to Dave under the heading of "you might want to know" I had an email back that day. Amazing.

Here is what happened to me on my first use. Same turner, same lathe, same grinder, same setup, same jig and same tool. My tool control on the same project was dramatically improved. Far less tearout on a bowl, far smoother cut. It really does change the game.

Blog Entries
    The 180 is sweet ,i have not installed the 80 yet as the 180 is agresive . The rest of the d way tools are as nice i have the bead tools and use them a lot .

The reason i wonder is because i currently have a soft cheap white wheel that came with my woodcraft brand slow speed grinder. If I set up my gouge in a varigrind jig. It barely takes a light touch and I have refreshed the entire edge because the jig puts the tool in the exact same position as it was before. And thats with a soft white wheel. So in my head that meant that it must be crazy fast with a CBN wheel
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11