Thread: Woodrat questions

Woodrat questions

Hi, is anybody using WoodRat system for joints? I am looking on there site - looks like nice pretty universal jig? I can not find any noting about restriction in how wide board can be DTling? Any thoughts about this jig, recommendation?

Thank you, Ed.

Only tool I can remember that I returned.

I've had one since 2005. Send me an email (gary.curtis.s60@gmail.com) and I'll send you some literature and a manual used in teaching classes.

Newer models than mine can now handle work wider than 24", I believe. The dovetails are superb. They look handmade and can have variable spacing. With tooling and the router, you will get close to $1100, so be sure you want a machine for joints. It will make dovetail, finger joints, mortise & tenon, lap joints, bridle joints and a bunch of others. Guys with the Leigh jigs, seem to like their equipment. The Woodrat combines the function of the Leigh DT, and M&T jigs. For about the same cost.

There is a bit of a learning curve. Spend the $6 on the WR set and view the video before taking the plunge. You can order it from Lee Valley or the WoodRat.com websites. It is safer than a router table, and dust collection is pretty good. Since it is mounted on the wall, it frees up floor space in your shop.

Can't help you on your question but there is a local guy (Cincinnati) who manufactures a like item called the Router Boss.
    Just another option for you to look at.

http://www.chipsfly.com/Merchant2/me...?page=W/CTGY/M
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My Woodrat is about 15 years old and has cut a lot of DTs and M&Ts. But here's a warning; if you don't possess spatial relations ability, you will find yourself fighting against it's capabilities. I say that, from experience in trying to teach others how to use my WR. Engineers seem to have no problem.
    However, the Router Boss looks like a nice alternative with more whiz bangs and accessories.