Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2x4 benchtop complete w/pics

2x4 benchtop complete w/pics

We were talking about building a benchtop out of 2x4's today.. Here is my progress so far.

Thanks for looking.

That is a nice bench top. I am going to be replacing the top on the bench in my shop I think I will look at using 2x.

Well you've definitely sold me on the idea now Looks fantastic! Great job!
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Hey that's cool! I have a bunch of thick pine laying around my shop that is slated for a bench.

VERY Nicely done. It looks great and should be solid as the Rock of Gibraltor. About 35 yrs ago I made a 2' x 3' "Hammer Bench" top for a friend's shop by just ripping off the rounded edges and placing two 3/4" dowells through them for alignment and three threaded rods to hold it together, (no glue), from SYP. I've wanted to make a "Real Workbench" from SYP ever since..........maybe I'll get around to it one day yet. That Hammer Bench was still in use when they sold his shop about 5 yrs ago.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 02-16-2005 at 2:44 PM.

Everett,

I am only about 3 evenings away from having my base completed and should be ready to work on my top this coming weekend. I had already planned out my top, but after seeing your pictures, I may have to rethink this whole thing. You did a beautiful job and I love pine even though I know many prefer other woods. There is a warmth and beauty in pine that no other wood has.

Your benchtop project is certainly crafted in a manner that any master would admire.

Great job!

Everett,

Did you joint the faces of that 2x material before the glue-up or were you able to find flat, straight boards right from the lumber yard?

Me without a jointer, I was hoping that the answer would be you just glued em' up
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Rob-Im sorry to tell you this but I did joint&plane all four sides of the2x4's then I glued up three boards at a time,and made four of those for a total of 12 . then I did the same for the 2x6's on the outside of the bench.Rob, check out member John Dingmans threads and his web site,this is where I got the idea and the courage to try this project! I have to give him the credit , he made a beatiful bench and I copied it SORRY JOHN! Sorry for the late response but I just got home from work(4 to 12 shift)

Good looking bench, Everett.

Where did you get the vises? And how much did they cost, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Looks pretty STURDY!! nice job!
    Jerry

Everett

Great looking bench top, you should have a lot of fun using it.

As a side note, when I clicked on one of the pics,I got a lot of popups asking to install software on my computer -- guard something, I was too busy canceling what ever was showing up. Don't know if you realize that your hosting site is doing this.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Good looking bench, Everett.

Where did you get the vises? And how much did they cost, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks.
    Karl,thanks for the complement,I ordered the vises online from lee valley tools .The front vise set me back $50.00 and the tail vise was $66.00 plus the handles were $3.50 ea. Be forwarned the tail vise comes with no instructions and was a bit of a pain in the #ss

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Everett

Great looking bench top, you should have a lot of fun using it.

As a side note, when I clicked on one of the pics,I got a lot of popups asking to install software on my computer -- guard something, I was too busy canceling what ever was showing up. Don't know if you realize that your hosting site is doing this.

Jay
    Thanks Jay,trhis was the first time I ever posted pics,my son helped me do it. I didnt like the way they showed up either sorry about that! Ill try to find another way.

Too nice?

It does look great... too good for WW?

I would be inclined to use Spruce which is a little harder than pine and cheap, or even Maple which is very tough but a bit expensive.

I also made a bench top of 2X4's. It worked out pretty good, but I have a bit of advice for others that want to try it.

Be sure to let the 2X4's sit around the shop for a couple of weeks before planing and glue up.

I found that my bench top warped about a month after I completed it because one of the boards was not as dry as the others.

Thanks for the photos!