Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally freezing my butt off! AAAAHHHHHHHHH ! ! !

Blog Entries

Finally freezing my butt off! AAAAHHHHHHHHH ! ! !

a friend of mine was back home from Texas for a week and he was nice enough to give me a much welcomed hand in helping
    me cut a hole in my shop wall so i can put in my 10,000 BTU air conditioner... it was a long time coming but its finally done
    and now i can go out anytime this summer and stay nice and cool while im working on my projects.

only thing left to do now that i have foamed around the unit and sealed it to the wall i can put on the cover and inside trim ring.

its been a long time coming but its finally done and im VERY HAPPY STAYING COOL NOW! ! !

Last edited by Kevin Gregoire; 07-11-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Sweet! It was 97 here yesterday. I had the shop swamp cooler going all day and could only get the shop temp down to 85.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Awesome! Yeah, I'm jealous - unfortunately I can't do this in the home I'm in, but am in the planning stages of installing a portable AC system in my garage. I'm first having to insulate the attic and garage door, but once that's complete (sometime this year), then I can pipe my AC ducting thru the wall. Great job Kevin and I know you'll be LOVIN' that from here on out

Welcome to the club. I decided several years back that other members of my household bask in AC comfort, why shouldn't I. I'm out in the shop earning the money to pay for the AC they are enjoying, so why should I be sweating?

Congrats Kevin, you and your machinery and materials will be much happier................Rod.

6. Nice Kevin, having AC makes the world of difference, I'm new to the forum so haven't actually introduced myself as of yet. Your unit is almost the exact same as mine only mine is an 8000 and it keeps freezing so I can imagine 10,000. I have a stand alone shop out in the back yard. pic47.JPGpic25a.jpgpic35.JPG

Randy

Blog Entries
    randy, thats a good looking shop you have there and your AC mount looks about identical to mine!
    and your unit also looks familiar and actually mine is 9800 btu but i just rounded up. and im going
    to have to make my own cover as i dont really want to spend $75 on a new one for mine, just way
    to much money. and your power cord looks like its a mile long. i pulled mine out enough to reach
    the outlet but not sure how much more is stuffed inside the unit?

That's great! I have had a 24,000 btu window style heat pump in my shop for about 12 years now and it does a great job of making the shop comfortable year round.

You will now need to devise a good way to add a pleated air filter to the front of it or you will plug up the coils with sawdust. I found that a 12" X 20" X 1" filter fit inside the cover of my unit in front of the coils and it needs replacement or at least removal an a blow out with the air hose about every month. If you can't find a filter that fits properly behind the cover you can duct tape one to the outside. However you do it, put a good pleated filter over the air intake as soon as possible.

Charley

Randy, welcome to the Creek!
    You guys with your refrigerated AC are making me jealous!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That looks great. Having A/C in the shop is a great addition! Hopefully you are insulated as well...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

11. Charles good Info I was about to suggest the same thing to Kevin but I like your idea better of getting one to fit inside the grill, I took my last replacement filter from my house AC unit, blew it off and cut it down to fit over the front grill and just use my air compressor at the days end. Kevin Charles is correct, I was constantly having to blow mine out with air. Just last week I noticed fire ants were trying to make their home in there so I got out the insect spray looks like to got rid of them.

Randy

Blog Entries
    growing up my parents had a trailer court and my father would buy rolls of this fiber/filter stuff (to put inside furnace filters) to replace monthly on all the trailers,
    and we just cut off what we needed and i might see about getting that, if i really need it or not im not sure cause inside the front cover is a factory filter that
    has a plastic type weave that is same stuff on my computer door and front filters and it works great so might will see how that does for a bit?
    Last edited by Kevin Gregoire; 07-11-2011 at 5:59 PM.

13. Kevin, if the grill you are talking about looks anything like the one in this picture then you will need the alternate filter.

Attachment 201472

14. This is what I have rigged up atm going to see about buying one to fit inside.

Photo0193.jpg

Kevin,

You're from South Dakota---I'd say in another couple of months we'll both be having chilly butts

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils