Thread: Free bench tops

Free bench tops

I went to the Yellow Pages and looked up Doors. I found 3 commercial door companies. All were close to me. I asked if they would mind if I took any old doors from their dumpsters. All 3 said fine.
    I found 2 solid core fire resistant doors that came from a movie theatre. Neither one had holes for door knob hardware. They had stainless steel plates and pull/push hardware only.
    Anyway, I got them home into the shop and put a straightedge on them diagonally. Both are dead flat. As good as a torsion box.
    I now have 2 very nice free bench tops 44" X 84"
    Maybe you can find something that suits you too.
    By the way, Also in the dumpster was a 3/4" thick glass tempered door. I guess you can't cut tempered glass, but I was thinking about bringing one home and making a dining table out of it to sell. This door ,however, had holes in it for hardware. I would have to somehow disguise it in a design of some kind, I guess.

Don,

Thanks for the tip, it sounds like a good one! I will have to check it out!

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I never thought about going to the yellow pages and looking up "Doors". I guess I am going to have to go do some "Dumpster diving"

How 'bout some pics of the door?

Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Nice tip Don.....excellent idea.....

We got all the doors in our home in a similar fashion.....

A construction company was doing a commercial remodel and had rejected a load of solid birch doors due to a few hairline cracks and such.....

It was easier for them to have us haul them all away...I think we collected 37 3'-0" doors; 5 2'-8"s; and an awesome 4'0" x 8'0" beauty for the front door!
    All six panel raised.........very heavy - which was kind of a "pita" when it came time for hauling, boring, lifting, setting, etc.....

Still, very nice and they do draw attention - especially the front door

Don't you just love that! Finding "junk" that's still usable? That's a recycling idea I've been able to take advantage of as well. Our area hospital was to be torn down last year. Since wife works there we were allowed to scavenge what was left before the final razing. I was able to rescue many of the 2" thick doors to use as workbench tops as well as other projects.
    Two of the doors,I made sure to get, lead to the birthing room where I was able to witness my children being born years earlier .