Thread: Jet Jointer problem, need help!

Jet Jointer problem, need help!

I have a Jet 6" Jointer (I think the model number is JJ6CSX). It is really a great little jointer, but now I'm having problems with it. I took some time last night to tune it up some by raising both infeed and outfeed tables to an even plane even with the blade at it's highest point. With my 40" straight-edge, it looks like the tables are parallel and straight. However, when I try to joint something, the front edge is all that the blade cuts on. For some reason, close to half the trailing edge of the workpiece (about 37" long) never makes contact with the blades. If I were to keep going, I would have a heck of a taper on the board. I always thought this meant the end of the outfeed table is too low, but like I said, I tried to make sure it was even with the top of the blade and parallel with the infeed table, and it is still happening. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

dear david

is there any chance that the tables are now somehow not parallel to each other? I have a patternmakers jointer and the out feed table can be tilted a few degrees for pattern draft angles. I have had a similar problem with my jointer and found the best way to make sure both tables were parallel with each other was to use two perfect framing squares and place them "back to back" on each of the tables. If the tables "tilt in" toward each other the squares will show this very easily. The same could be said if they "tilt away from each other. I know that you jet is not made to have the tables tilt, but maybe there is some machining misallignment that caused this to happen when you raised the out feed table.
    good luck
    lou

Since you moved both infeed and outfeed tables you may be slightly off with the blades even though the straight edge appears to show them ok. I would lower the out feed table a little and then joint an eighteen inch board. If there is snipe on the trailing edge slightly raise the infeed table and try it again. If there is still snipe do it again. I am talking about very teeny little adjustments. Do this until there is no more snipe and if everything else is ok you should be able to joint a perfectly straight edge.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Keep in mind that I don't own a jointer and I have only used one twice. I certainly have never set one up or adjusted one. So take my advice for what it's worth - and if I am wrong, I will delete.

But, I always thought the outfeed table was NOT supposed to be on the same plane as the infeed. Shouldn't the outfeed be adjusted higher than the infeed exactly the size of the cut? This way the cut wood will still be on a flat surface after it is cut.

Stefan

I think Stefan might have hit on the problem. The outfeed table needs to level with the tops of the knives. BTW make sure you check ALL the knives all the way across the cutterhead just to make sure they are equal and level. The infeed table needs to be LOWER than the blades by whatever amount you are intending to take off. Of course this could just be the board you are jointing. If the board has a bow and you put the convex side against the bed, start with one end on the table and joint, you will end up with exactly what you are describing. So, it may just be technique.

The solution

Since you verified the tables are coplanar it means you have the outfeed table slightly higher than the top of the knives. Drop the outfeed table down until you get snipe and slowly raise until snipe disappears. If it tapers again repeat because you went too far. You have the table in that funny inbetween spot. If it were lower the board would hit the edge of the outfeed table and you would know it's too low but there is that certain place that appears to throw logic out the window.