Thread: A burl finishing question

A burl finishing question

Just joined and glad to be here. I have recently come into possession of some Maple Burl rounds. They are beautiful as is so I want to finish them with the rough edges (no bark) on. Can anyone suggest the best method/approach/products for this task?

Thanks,

Steve

What or how do you plan to use them? Table? Wall Art? Stool?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Wall art. I really just want to preserve them as is. Its the raw/rough edges I am not sure about.

A light spray coat of blonde de-waxed shellac will work well. Dries fast, is optically clear, and will never yellow.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Scott - Was wondering if I should/could use a clear filler (CrystaLac?) on this first? If so is there one you would recommend?

Thanks,

Steve

I would not. The wooden disc will move and change shape a bit while on the wall due to RH in the room. If it's too dry when you fill it; when it swells the filler may make things worse. If it's too wet when you fill it; ...

A for a filler if you want to go that route (I'm assuming you are talking about the flat portion...) Crystalac www.crystalac.com is good.

A light spray coat of de-wxad shellac and you should be good to go. You are not trying to get a thick film finish, just a very light spray coat.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 07-13-2011 at 5:47 PM.
    Scott