Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Selling Small/Inexpensive Tools

Need Advice on Selling Small/Inexpensive Tools

My father-in-law passed away a few years ago and left a lot of tools, among other things. I've sold several larger things on CL (miter saw, chain saw, etc) but now there are a ton of smaller things left (wrench sets, vise grips, screw driver sets, etc).

We're trying to figure out how to sell them best. Possibly a garage sale if the right people came, but work setting up that's wasted if they don't? Maybe group them into lots on CL, or try something else since they could be shipped? He had several sets and pairs of each kind of tool for some reason.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Sounds like what you have left would be tailor made for Craigslist. Yard sales are good too but can be hit or miss.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Depends where you live/proximity to large flea markets etc. Near Philly, 15$ will get you a set-up area at a busy market where you are likely to get rid of most of your stuff if priced generously.

Of course box lot on CL is another idea also.

PJS

This might not be what you are looking for, but here goes. Put together as many tool kits as you can using an assortment of screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, hammers, etc. If there are a lot of specialty tools, such as woodworking or electrical tools, put them aside or group them together. Put them in tool boxes or cardboard boxes and put them away in a safe place such as the attic or under a bed. Now, wait a while until the kids in the family grow up. When they are old enough, or almost old enough, present the young man or woman with a tool kit from their grandfather, or uncle, etc. and explain that they are part of his collection and were used by him in his trade or hobby or just tools that helped him keep up with repairs.

Hopefully, they will share some of his interest in building or fixing things and understand the value of the tools. Even if they do not fully understand the sentimental value, they will have a tool kit that will contain the basic tools that a homeowner or vehicle owner might need occasionally.

I write this remembering the vast shop full of woodworking and carpentry tools that my grandfather had before he passed away when I was a young teenager. My grandmother sold almost all of it at a garage sale for pennies on the dollar. My father never realized the love of woodworking I would develop in my adult life. Somewhere, my grandmother has some tools that she has saved, and occasionally she finds one and gives it to me as a gift. These are the most treasured of my tools.

Even if you were to get a fair price for the tools your father in law left behind, you would likely be selling them far below their real value. Unless you are desperately in need of money, I would suggest holding on to them for as long as possible, unless there is no chance of any heirs or descendants and you have no use for them. As I write this, I am reminded of the smile on my 5 year olds face when I gave him a small Stanley block plane that I rescued from an old cabinet that my mother in law wanted out of her garage. I cleaned it up and sharpened it and he has turned more wood into shavings than I have. I hope that one day, I can give him a box of tools that his granddad once treasured.

Hope this gives you an option.
    Dan

I went throught the same thing afew yrs ago when my father-inlaw pass away(still missing him) He was a pipefitter by trade and was a supply sergeant during the Korean war,so needless to say he had a collection of tools,salvage pipe,etc.You name it he had one or more or knew where to get it if he did not have it.Hoarders could have made several episodes with his collection,but it was all good stuff,no junk,"guy thing".
    Like you had said,grouping is alittle quicker but I made sure that each group had equal value.I would figure up the value as a seller and then figure up what the less amount I would take as a buyer before posting.I would also keep the shop close up so no nosey people would come back after dark or while your gone.I would only post one lot over a weekend till it sold.But when the buyer would come and check on the lot,I would have the other lots in place so he could also see them as well.Most of the stuff sold,ones that did not sell as a lot I then broke it down and sold as individual items.
    I still have alot of his stuff that I keep for myself that I can't let go.Good Luck----Carroll
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 07-12-2011 at 8:02 AM.

All you have to do is advertise a garage/yard sale, and add the word 'tools' in the advertisement, and folks will start coming out of the woodwork. I have seen it happen more than once. This is perhaps the best option for smaller items like wrenches, screwdriver sets, etc.

I've seen the same thing here in the Birmingham area. I know i key on the word "tools" when i scan the yard sales advertised on CL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    All you have to do is advertise a garage/yard sale, and add the word 'tools' in the advertisement, and folks will start coming out of the woodwork. I have seen it happen more than once. This is perhaps the best option for smaller items like wrenches, screwdriver sets, etc.

Ditto on what Mike and Jerome posted. From the few times that I've NOT gone with listing tools on CL or here, a garage sale with signs proclaiming TOOLS For Sale always gets the most traffic for us. My wife always chuckles about it, my stuff flies out the door, and hers lingers on during the day.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully my mother-in-law will have success with a garage sale at least with tools, still not hopeful for a lot of christmas decorations. I've taken what I want, both for us and sentimental value. My son is nearly two, that's a great idea to take a few pieces for him, even though he never met his grandpa.

I'm a bit burned out and not hopeful about a sale which is why I asked, but I'm sure I'll be helping now and will certainly post the sale on Craigslist. I'm sure she'll want me to price stuff, any suggestions for 30-40 year old hammers, vise grips, wrenches, levels, etc. I think I'll check e-bay and Lowes and guess from there? Thanks!

I've been to tool only garage sales that were posted on CL. You need to list in the tool section a bunch of times prior to the sale, with lots of pics. People will come.

Overprice the stuff by a little That way you have room to dicker and still get close to the price you actually want.

Before you sell anything make sure you take one of everything and only sell the duplicates. If you have no time now to sort them out you will. You may think there is no way I'll use this and then one day you will need that tool.

Same goes for screws, nails, etc. You don't realize how expensive it is to buy nuts and bolts today. I just finally sorted out all of the bins of the screws etc that were my grandfathers and uncles.

Dan, I feel your pain. My grandfather was a woodworker making clocks and had a nice setup in the house I eventually bought. He died when I was 16 and my grandmother made my uncle sell everything because at 16 I might think it was a good idea to go down the cellar and saw my arm off just for fun.

you might also consider the classified section of garage journal forums.(not posting link..cause I'm not sure it's allowed..just google it). There are many members there who collect classic American made tools of all types. They can also help you with the actual values of many of them.

There is a resurgence in technical schools, these tools could be used by students and provide you a tax credit as a donation.

Jeremy... Unless I missed it, I've read nothing on the brands of wrenches/screwdrivers/etc. That can make a HUGE difference on prices. What brands do you have? Toolboxes, too, and if so, brand?