Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird Bowl

Thunderbird Bowl

Curly Maple, Bloodwood and Walnut. It is 12" in diameter and 5 1/4" high. There are 8 segmented rings with 20 segments per ring, a feature ring with 10 segment and 180 pieces and a solid bottom for a total of 341 pieces. Eight Hours.

P7121216.jpg

What ya think? Comments on photo also welcome, God know I am trying.

2. Another beauty, Bill!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

You know, Bill, I look carefully at every piece you show us and I can't tell you how I admire your work. You have a great imagination for these segmented pieces along with impeccable taste for combining woods that work together. This one is another great one.
    faust

I love it, Bill! It's a beaut!

Bill, this one is up there at the top! Great work, and I love the design and material choices!

Very nice, Bill.

As a desert rat in Indian country, I say that's a winner. Those geometric patterns translate so well on pottery, in weaving, and segmented forms. Very nice job, as usual!
    Michael

Very cool bowl. I like the Thunderbird design. To make an improvement on your pictures, I would shoot the picture at a lower elevation and have a bit more background showing around the bowls (framing the bowl). Getting much better at your pictures. This is newer territory for me as well and I feel like quite the student trying to figure out how to make my turnings look their best ....in a picture!

Thanks for posting.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Bill,
    Really like the piece, looks like it would be great to hold.

Segmented stuff like this always amazes me. I love to head down to Arizona on vacation and drive around the reservations checking out the native art. I would have trouble gluing two pieces of wood together in 8 hours let alone make something like this. I have learned that the cutting and glue up process does not come naturally to me so I really appreciate folks that can make it look easy.

Very pretty bowl Bill. The wood combo and feature ring are very nice!

I really like the detail ring and the way you alternated the colors! You sure have that joinery thing down well - can hardly see any seams at all! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really a beautiful piece Bill. The detail ring and color are really pretty stuff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

this is worth me congratulating you again on this forum..very beautiful & well crafted piece. nothing superfluous . Great wood & colors. From one segmenter to another: GRAND JOB

very nice bill its a beauty.
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."