Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is this so hard? Grizzly 0690/0691 vs 1023RL/1023RLX

I'm very happy with my Grizzly 691. I messed around with different ways to improve the over the table dust collection. None worked as well as I liked. I made a zero clearance insert (strangely not pictured here). I bought a SawStop blade guard and retrofitted it to the Grizzly spliter (pretty easy). made a reducer out of of plastic fittings and ran a 4" hose to it from my ceiling. This works nice.
    G0691 SS 3.jpgG0691 SS 2.jpg

May not be what you want to hear. But prior to my most recent TS, a Canadian made General if they can still be obtained was flat out the best TS I ever owned. The arbor run-out was under a thou, which makes a huge difference in the ease with which cuts can be made. Makes a 3 hp feel like a 5 hp etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Canaris View Post
    May not be what you want to hear. But prior to my most recent TS, a Canadian made General if they can still be obtained was flat out the best TS I ever owned. The arbor run-out was under a thou, which makes a huge difference in the ease with which cuts can be made. Makes a 3 hp feel like a 5 hp etc.
    I appreciate that they are good saws, but are they worth twice the cost?

I got the 691 last Christmas after 18 years of using a contractors saw. I love it! It's the real thing. I couldn't possibly justify spending any more on the Delta or PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gordon View Post
    I appreciate that they are good saws, but are they worth twice the cost?
    I used a General for a couple years in a shop, and have used the 1023 for about 3 years in my shop, so I'll throw in a comment.

The General had a much nicer fit and finish--less vibration, nicer cuts, nicer top.

Was it worth twice as much? Not to me, which is why I purchased the 1023 even though I have a pro shop. Since I edge everything with a shaper, I usually just have a rough rip blade in it anyway.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    I used a General for a couple years in a shop, and have used the 1023 for about 3 years in my shop, so I'll throw in a comment.

The General had a much nicer fit and finish--less vibration, nicer cuts, nicer top.

Was it worth twice as much? Not to me, which is why I purchased the 1023 even though I have a pro shop. Since I edge everything with a shaper, I usually just have a rough rip blade in it anyway.

-Steve
    That's sort of where my thinking is right now as well.

It's going to be the 690/1. I just need to decide if I can manage the space for the long rails or not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post

-Steve
    Thanks Steve, interesting to know that the cut quality is better as well as the fit and finish...............Regards, Rod