Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first bowl

my first bowl

I got my lathe some time ago but it was only last week I got 220 power in the garage. The next day I did this:

11001a.jpg

My first bowl.

I don't know what kind of wood this is; I got it from the side of the road when somebody in the neighborhood had it cut down (south part of Houston, Zone 9a) . It was pretty easy to turn. The picture may not show it but some of the layers have a nice pink hue to them. I've got a lot more so I'm looking forward to more. Here's what they look like in the raw:

logs.jpg

Any ideas on what it is?

On a related question I saw a Husqvarna 142 16" chain saw for $150. I have a Powermatic 3520A lathe. Is this a good deal for my future work or will I be disappointed with this size of saw?

Thanks

2. Pete,

That is outstanding for a first! Congrats on the nice bowl and the wood.........not a bad haul! Husky's are good saws........I personally would prefer a larger model, but you can do a lot with that one for now!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I am in the Houston Area and that is looking a lot like elm to me. I have a good bit myself. Nice bowl too. I call BS on it being your first....

Way to knock it out of the park with your first bowl!

I'm no good at identifying trees, but the finished piece looks a bit like pecan to me.

Can't help you with the chainsaw... It's a great brand, but I'd bet 20" would be even better.

Great first bowl Pete. Welcome to the Mustard section. If you can wait to find a 20" saw, I would suggest going no smaller. The 20" Farm Boss was my choice. It was as much saw as I could buy without getting into the professional saws that cost more exponentially.
    faust

$150 for a 16" is a bit high in this area, is it new. I ask becasue I am seeing a 16" Husq for 175 but model 235 on amazon. I just picked up a Stihl 18" Farm Boss w/ 2 extra Stihl Chains off CL for $150 and am so happy w/ it. There was an 18" Echo out there for $100. This was last week but may still be there. If you can hold off for Stihl. This is my first owned but I have used many and they are far superior to any CS out there. Husq is good but it is no Stihl. Also a Stihl is easy to get repaired. Some saws have to wait for parts but there are Stihl shops all over the Houston Area with everything you need.
    Last edited by Chris Burgess; 07-13-2011 at 10:32 PM.

That's just scary. 1st bowl? Scheech...
    David DeCristoforo

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burgess View Post
    Husq is good but it is no Stihl.
    I would say your statement is your opinion to which you are most certainly entitled to have and to express freely! I have a friend who is a professional logger........cuts lumber for the mill every day, has skidders and all other logging equipment....logs in the mountains of VA and WVA.

He used to use Stihl chainsaws exclusively......had many of them, all pro models............he had 5 of them that broke a crank, and had to have them repaired. He now uses Husqvarna exclusively..........his son said he gets 5 times the life out of a husqvarna than a Stihl...............

Now that is just one man's experience...........I think both are great saws.......kinda like the Ford, Chevy debate.........not one that is winnable, so we all just have our own opinion...........and that is fine!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks to all for the encouraging words on my bowl. For Chris or any other Houston folks, I'll be taking it to the meeting of the Gulf Coast turners on Saturday.

With regard to the saw, it is a reconditioned unit from Amazon.

Great first bowl. Really nicely done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great first bowl Pete and congrats on getting the lathe up and running.

Pete - very impressive work on your bowl - especially for a first! Make sure you sign and date it because you are going to want to hang on to it!

I would highly suggest looking around for a bigger saw. I have a Husky with a 20" bar and there have been a number of times I wish I had a 24" bar when ripping! With you having a PM 3520 lathe, you will appreciate being able to cut larger pieces of wood!

Have fun turning! Looking forward to seeing bowl #2!

Also - be sure to seal that wood as soon as you can or it will start checking on you! If you can't seal it - get to turning!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Fantastic job on a first bowl or even an nth bowl. Nice form with good flowing lines and lift. No tool marks that I noticed, so you did a great job on execution as well as design. Keep up the good work.

Pete,
    Great job!

Great first bowl. Looks good...
    Billy