Thread: Do you buff bowl interior

Do you buff bowl interior

I buff most of my bowls on the exterior but I usually do something different on the inside. I see Beall makes bowl buffs for the inside. Does anyone use them and how successfully?
    faust

I've used them quite a bit and they work fine for me. Not so likely to grab the rim and throw the bowl across the shop.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    I buff most of my bowls on the exterior but I usually do something different on the inside. I see Beall makes bowl buffs for the inside. Does anyone use them and how successfully?
    faust

I have them and have had decent success with them. You must use the bowl buffs at a higher rpm than the regular buff wheels.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Bob,
    So, that's happened to you too.
    faust

Faust,

I got all three of mine from Don Pencil, and use them on every bowl. They are quite easy to use and produce excellent results.

Walter

I buff mine too, but I got the mushroom buffs from Caswell Plating. They are a little more reasonably priced than the Beall.

I also have the Beall bowl buffs and have had very good results with them. As mentioned you can crank the speed up with them and they work just fine. I've not had any issues with them grabbing or anything either. Simple and effective. I like that kind of tool!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Bob,
    So, that's happened to you too.
    faust
    I'm not talkin'.

I want to get a set of bowl buffs to use just hasnt moved up on the "I need this first" list yet...but this does remind me of an issue I need to ask about, I will make another post so as not to clutter this thread.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have the 3" ones. I use them. More of a problem making sure the taper stays put. I've been known to use blue tape to make it stay. Works reasonably well.

When I first started buffing bowls, I picked up a set of the 2" bowl buffs. To be honest, I always had trouble with them leaving swirls patterns in the finish. Never knew if it was me, the size of the buffs (would rather be using 3" or even 4" buffs) or if the speed of the lathe was to fast. Haven't turned many bowls lately - so no fresh information to offer but I would recommend getting the 3" or 4" buffs because I feel they would work better.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have the 3" ones. I use them. More of a problem making sure the taper
    stays put. I've been known to use blue tape to make it stay. Works reasonably
    well.
    the morse taper on the beall bowl buffs is threaded on the inside 1/4 x 20 i use a length of threaded rod thru my headstock with an appropriate sized piece of plywood for a washer and a regular nut snugged down to hold the taper where it belongs works like a champ very simple and very effective HTH

I use the Beall Buffing System on the inside and outside of my bowls. As-a-matter-of-fact after I finish sanding a piece and before I apply a finish, I buff all my pieces with Tripoli and White Diamond. I cannot say for sure that this improves the final outcome, but it sure gives me a great looking/feeling pieces to apply finish to.

I normally will buff the inside of bowls and hollow forms. I have both the 8" and 12" Don Pencil shafts to use with my 3" and 4" buffs to make it easy to get to bottom of most hollow forms. I have also had success using 5" wheels to buff the inside of 5 to 9" diameter bowls where the 8" wheels would not work.

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a set of 3" buffs and will try them as soon as they arrive.
    Bill, I wouldn't have thought to buff bare wood prior to finish. Apparently the residue from the compound does not cause the finish any adhesion issues. I will try it on some scrap to see if it improves my favorite finishes.
    Thanks,
    faust