Thread: Irish Blackthorn

Irish Blackthorn

I got a commission to do at least 6 pens for the lady that has a vacation house up behind my wife's folks house on the other side of town.

She gave me an Irish Blackthorn walkingstick to cut up and make pens for her to give away at her book signings. She is an author of usually children's books, but she recently has had an adult fiction book published about Irish people escaping the potato famine and settling around Troy, NY. I have her web site and you can PM me to get it if you want to check out what she has written.

Anyway, I have already cut into the stick and made the first 2 pens. I have attached a picture of the first 2 pens from the stick. (I really hated cutting up the stick - real pretty and I hate ruining with someone elses good work)

If anyone knows where I can source some Blackthorn I would appreciate it (I only intend on making pens and will only need pieces 5-1/2" long (full blank) or 2-1/4" (half blank), shorts and cuttoffs would be fine)

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kurt Aebi; 02-16-2005 at 9:56 AM.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Kurt,

Wow those are some nice looking pens. The wood is really neat looking.

As far as cutting into the stick, just think you are taking one great work and making it into 6!

Good looking pens, Kurt. Almost as good as good as the one you did for the LOML.

Sent you a PM. Would like to check out that story, as it sounds like it takes place in my birth place.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

aHH, You should be takin a trip to the ole sod to see if there is any around Co.Cavan and maybe a Duffy or two would be givin you a piece. Phil
    Philip

Phil, Yaahhr a real hoot! I am hoping to find some on this side of the wee pond!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt