Thread: Lumber Rack

Lumber Rack

This is my 1st major shop related project.
    I have been working on it over a few months as I have had time, but I am pretty happy with the results.
    I have attached a link to the photobucket album.
    I have 2 x 4s attacked to the 2 x 6 studs via 6" lag bolts, 4 per vertical member.
    There is a footer attached behind the plywood that you cannot see, attached with 4.5" lags at each stud, it is flat against the wall rather than on edge.
    There is black iron pipe in 7/8" holes at 5 degrees 2.5 inches deep.
    These pipes are surrounded by PVC sleeves.
    I have to just make my pivoting plywood rack, but I wanted to share some pics of the current progress.
    Workshop Progress

Looks very nice Tim, organisation is task 1 in my shop since it's so small...............Regards, Rod.

Looks good!

Nice work. With 8' ceilings I think that we're hard pressed to come up with a better solution than yours. With taller ceiling heights I highly recommend standing lumber racks as getting to your inventory is far easier. Taller ceilings are hard to come by in the home shop.

Yes, that is why my ladder is below, my ceilings are 10'6", but I wanted to maximize the use of the height, as well as have a plywood cart below, but now I am double thinking it, because some posts on another forum have me scared that my 2 x 6 walls might now handle that much lumber, so I might have to revisit it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cottle View Post
    Yes, that is why my ladder is below, my ceilings are 10'6", but I wanted to maximize the use of the height, as well as have a plywood cart below, but now I am double thinking it, because some posts on another forum have me scared that my 2 x 6 walls might now handle that much lumber, so I might have to revisit it :/
    Perhaps that is an issue but some Simpson Strong Ties at the top plate should take care of any worries. The roof system should hold the plate fast.

The first shot with the walker in it reminds me of my garage.

My wife is always putting kids toys in the garage, carseats, booster seat, pool toys, etc.