Thread: Freud FT2000 Router

Smile Freud FT2000 Router

Just wondering if anyone has the Freud 3 1/4 HP(FT2000) router. I have been looking at it at Menards and have a chance to buy with a discount, which makes it price wise about the same as the Hitachi M12V. Has it performed well or not? I'm getting ready to build my third RT and originally was planning on putting a DW 625 in it.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Larry

I have it, and I've been pretty happy with it. It's now permanently under a woodpecker router table, in one of their lifts. I found it was a bit heavy for hand held work.
    Ed

Larry:

I've had one for about 5 years, and I like it. Like Ed said, it's a little heavy for handheld use, but it is a great choice for a router table. I've had no problems with mine.
    Sam/Atlanta

Ditto the above. I have had mine for several years. I did find that I preferred an actual 1/4" collet to the adaptor. It was expensive as I recall.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I'll chime in and agree with all the above. In addition to being heavy, I found that the plunge action seemed very heavy to overcome and I couldn't be as smooth as I wanted to be when plunge cutting. Mine (about 5 years old) is also in my router table (Norm clone) under a woodpeck lift and as I recall the 1/4" collett was in the range of $29 or more (mine came marked for a DeWalt, but works in the Freud). I still think that for the money it is a good choice, especially if you are going to be into this hobby for long. I perdict you will have 3 or more routers in your shop before you know it. I currently have the Freud, a Bosch two base unit, and the PC 350 lam trimmer, and am looking at the Festool 1400 and trying to justify it. Good luck on your choixce, whatever it is.

That's kinda' funny, Larry, 'cuz that's exactly how/when I bought mine several years ago. It just, just, just barely fit in the bag! (You may want to put the unit in the cart and then scooch the bag over it! ) Anyhow, what the other guys say. Plenty of guts and I've even used the 1/4" adapter without too much issue.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Got it, like it....but I do have a few complaints. The only real competition for a big gun in this price range IMO is the Hitachi, but I haven't had the opportunity to use one. If price isn't a huge deal, I'd consider moving up.

Here's my view:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_144873000580

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    Got it, like it....but I do have a few complaints. The only real competition for a big gun in this price range IMO is the Hitachi, but I haven't had the opportunity to use one. If price isn't a huge deal, I'd consider moving up.

Here's my view:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_144873000580
    Hey Scott, awesome review! Very detailed and concise. Well done!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Like Sam I've had one for about 5 years. I like it, the only thing I could add to the other comments are that the springs in mine are very stiff compared to others (even after 5 years). It's not such a big deal in my router table, but combined with the weight of the router it's not really usable hand-held.

I also wanted to point out that there is a new competitor that might be worth considering. MLCS is selling something called the "Marvel 60" that's about $180.00. All other things being equal I'd probably lean towards the Freud or Hitachi just because the MLCS is so new.

Owned one for about five years and have it mounted in a table. Don't care
    for the 1/4" adapter but it really hasn't caused a problem.

Freud router

I have one in a table saw wing table. It's too heavy for hand held use for my taste.. I fabricated a crank to adjust the cut depth that went on the threaded rod and worked OK, but I had to bend down to adjust the router. Got a Router Raizer and now it works great. Ample power for anything I've tried, and no problems. Today, Milwaukee makes a big router with above-the-table depth adjustment integral so the $89 for the router raizer could go toward a router that didn't require a router raizer or other lift. Choices, Choices

Curt

Smile Freud Ft 2000 Router

Thanks to all who replied with the info I requested. I think I'll buy one. It will be used just for table use. One question I have is about the throat size.
    Is the opening to small with the plate removed? In my other 2 tables(Craftsman 2HP & DW 618) I have the stock plates removed and router attached directly to Rousseau Plates. This gives me three different size openings and I have no problem acommodating 3 1/2" bits. I had planned on using a Woodpecker Lift with it, which also gives 3 size openings. Am I missing something in regards to this?

Larry

Throat Size

Hi Larry

I've never had a problem with panel raising bits. The bit will drop down below the plate to the sub base, then just adjust the fence away from the bearing of the bit to regulate horizontal depth of cut. I hope that makes sense; if not You can PM me.

Curt

FT2000 Update(Gloat)

Everyone who replied to this original post.

I went ahead and picked up this router. John, it just fit in the 17% off bag as you suggested and my final cost was $152.00 and I think thats pretty good. So thanks to everyone who gave me the info I needed to make the decision.

By the way I do see the situation that was mentioned about using big diameter bits. As this will be exclusively table mounted, I don't feel it will ever be an issue for me. Also I will probably be using only 1/2" shank bits in it. If the bits ever become a problem, I'll just use my INCRA jig table with the trusty DW 618 in it.

Thanks again

Larry

Question

Hey, now wait just a minute there, Larry! You've now taken this thread to the next level, that being a gloat! As you very well know, gloats are to be accompanied with pics!!! Anyhow, congrats! I think you'll like it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas