Thread: Very complicated project

Very complicated project

We're just finishing up this rift white oak wine cellar for someones house. Was a very short time limit..about 5 weeks since we got final dimensions. Things are coming along nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks great but man, there's a lot of work in that!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow. Beautiful.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

First post on the Creek and your going to make a big splash....
    When finished that is going to be one first rate wine cellar. Please post some pics when it's done Pat.
    I'm still trying to figure out how much it's going to cost to fill that puppy with wine.

Thanks.
    It was alot of work and I've been pretty steady doing CAD drawings, CNC programming and routing for the past 3+ weeks...it's finally paying off.
    Unfortunately, once delivery is made on Tuesday I won't see this cellar again until it's posted on the contractors website. My company is the manufacturing arm of a company that designs and installs the cellars, and handles all the climate control installations. Once we deliver we are done with it.
    We also do alot of high end cabinets which are our own contracts. That helps keep it interesting...not that this round cellar hasn't been interesting.

Pat - very nice.

Question for you: The runners that hold the individual bottles - how are they attached to the uprights? I can't make out any dados in the photos - but no closeups of the joinery so I can't really tell.

Thanks

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Wow. Great work. Love to see it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how much it's going to cost to fill that puppy with wine.
    You can bet there won't be any cheap wine in there.
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

That's truly a "puzzle palace" project! Wow...nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the first cellars we did many years ago we were rebating the bottle supports into the uprights, then we tried dowelling and clamping in a shopmade press. The contractor continually told us we were overbuilding..and we couldn't keep up (you can imagine the amount of work it was), so now we nail and glue like the competition did. Double nailing where possible. The front holes are filled. The customer specifies if something different is required.

Beautiful but tedious!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Larkin View Post
    In the first cellars we did many years ago we were rebating the bottle supports into the uprights, then we tried dowelling and clamping in a shopmade press. The contractor continually told us we were overbuilding..and we couldn't keep up (you can imagine the amount of work it was), so now we nail and glue like the competition did. Double nailing where possible. The front holes are filled. The customer specifies if something different is required.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense to me. Again - nice work.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Awesome work Pat. Are those slanted pieces at the front of the cabinet in pic #2 "ramps" to slide the bottle into place? BTW, I used to live in Kitchener, and then Ayr, it's been a long time since I've been to Elora.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curious if you tell us the ballpark finished price for a project like that?