Thread: Space surrounding workbench?

Question Space surrounding workbench?

I have a question for all you good people.

I am about to start a project to build floor based storage cabinets along my shops north wall. The distance from the Incra fence rails to the wall is 114 in. or 9.5 ft. I will be placing a workbench between the saw and the cabinets. I plan for the bench to be 30" by 96". I would also like for all the top surfaces to be at saw top level, 34".

My question is this, how much work room, walk around room, etc., do you have around your bench. Is 30" around the bench on all sides enough? I know that some of you are blessed with very large shops, and may have over 8' clear around you bench. But what about those of you that have smaller shops where you have some room, but not enough to not have to do some figuring.

I am looking at building a version of Norm's shop cabinet that he did a couple years ago. (It sets along the "left" wall of the NYW and has a set of shelves across the back.) If I go with the plans, I will be short of my 30" bench buffer by about 4". Hence, my question, how much room do I need to work around the bench without cussing every time I want to do a project? Is 30" sufficient, should I scrap the idea? All comments and Ideas are welcome.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken, I have about a minimum of 36" on each side of my bench and wouldn't recommend less. You don't need that much room for walking, but there are times when I'm wrestling with something big and need every inch.
    Dennis

I have 42" between my main bench and my back bench, and it feels about right.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Ken, I have about a minimum of 36" on each side of my bench and wouldn't recommend less. You don't need that much room for walking, but there are times when I'm wrestling with something big and need every inch.
    You make a good point Dennis. If I make the base cabinets the same height as the bench, and I don't clutter up the cabinet top with various garbage, I could have a max of 54" to the wall. On the other side of the bench I have essentially a blank canvass. The cabinet saw is/will be 30" away and it provides an easy auxiliary table top for wide pieces.

I am not trying to dis you comments, just elaborating on the problem/opportunity. I do thank you for your input and words of experience.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken,

My front side is open and my back is an isle of about 36"...I can move my bench if I need to and I find myself doing it often
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

My bench is also movable, I try to do this also w all my power tools (mobile bases etc). Gives you flexibility for job at hand.
    Jerry