Thread: Generated 3 Phase Question

Generated 3 Phase Question

So, as I am in the final stages of getting all my 3 phase machines working, and I realized I have a lingering question.

I am using a rotary phase converter, so does it matter where the generated leg is connected? That is, does it matter which motor lead is connected to which 3 phase leg?

I seem to remember this mattering for more sensitive equipment, such as CNC machinery, but I am unclear if it matters with regular ol' woodworking tools.

Thanks!

Hutch

You generally don't want the mfg leg energizing the coil on the starter so assuming most starters have a 230v coil just avoid that. Dave

As David said, you should only use the "created" phase to feed the motors. Don't use it to supply power for any control circuits, especially those containing electronics. Of course, if the motor runs the wrong direction, you need to swap two of the phases feeding it, and if you do this at the motor it doesn't matter which two get switched.

Charley

Right, I am not powering a VFD or any kind of electronic. I just wanted to make sure before I fired up the new motor.

As for the starter, I am not sure how to tell what is what. Can you point out what not to connect the generated leg to? The incoming L1, L2, and L3 are in the lower right and in that order (left to right). Thanks.

Hutch
    Attached Images Attached Images

remember if the motor runs backwards just switch any 2 wires.

Well, I think I got everything sorted out. The TS is up and running. One down, one to go.

Thanks,
    Hutch

Matt, advice not to connect the wild leg (L3) of your RPC to the starter coil is confusing, concerning your Delta LVC starter pictured. That is for starter coils that use full line voltage. Yours has a transformer that converts the input voltage to 24V. But, the transformer receives power from L1 and L2. So, to be on the safe side, connect the wild leg to L3. That leg only connects to the motor and nothing else.

~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!