Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly owners...

Grizzly owners...

Well - I've finally out grown my basement shop (just a year doing this thing professionally) and have moved into 2600 sq ft in an old mill - wide open - lot's of natural light - and the price was right.

With this new space, I'm now looking to round out my shop with three new machines - jointer, planer and bandsaw. Have not had thus far. I've been buying S4S lumber - really quite limiting and expensive.

Thus far I've been doing built-ins, book cases, entertainment units etc. But I'm beginning to promote the furniture side of things.

I'd really like to get the most value for my money - that's why I'm turning to Grizzly.

Budget...I'm thinking of the $500-$700 range per machine.

Could you please provide any insight and/or experiences with Grizzly as I'm a very motivated buyer and will probably be placing an order within a week.

Thanks in advance,
    -joe
    Unni WoodWorks

Joe,

2600 SF?! Wow, that's bigger than many homes. You are a lucky dog!

I have a Griz 1023SL cabinet saw, a 1182HW 6" jointer and the 0555 BS. I am more than happy with each of these units. About the only change I would make is to go to an 8" jointer but I don't have the room needed in my garage shop. I certainly intend to buy more Griz stationary tools in the future.

Have fun spending your $$$!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

3. rizzly owners

I only own one Grizzly machine GO500 8" jointer it has a 4 blade cutter head and a 75" table the long bed realy helps out on long pieces. I realy like it. It has plenty of power,and cuts smooth. A small bit of advice from personal experence,don't go with the dispos-a-blade system ( no adjustment) stick with the HSS 8"blades It is a good machine and will serve yo well IMHO

Same here I have the 0500 jointer, 1023SL TS and the 0555 BS very happy with all and have had good CS with Griz. The only thing I would have changed was going to a bigger BS with a bigger table but the 14 is good for most things I have done just see one in the future when the projects get bigger.
    Pat

I have a lot of grizzly machines in my shop, the 1023SL tablesaw, the G0500 jointer, the G0513 bandsaw and the G0551 planer. I bought these because I think that they represented the best overall value at the time that I purchased them, I had the financial ability to purchase any brand that I wanted I just couldn't find a large enough qualitative difference between Griz and the other brands for it to make sense to buy Delta or Jet or PM for these tools. I like them all well enough that I'd buy them all over again. Although I'd probably get a larger jointer and a larger planer if I had it all to do over again.

Erik
    Last edited by Erik Rudd; 02-16-2005 at 8:23 PM.

I have the 1023S 3hp tablesaw. the 0500 8" jointer, the 1029 dust collector, the 0555 bandsaw and a grizzly drill press. One day I'll probably buy a grizzly lathe. If I had the room I'd get a griz drum sander. I love my grizzly products. High quality at a budget price.

Joe,

I have one Grizzly machine, the 1018HW jointer. Its an okay machine. Fit and finish are kinda rough and dust collection isn't great with my woodsucker which surprised me. It arrived in rough condition--the shipping container was broken and it needed quite a bit of adjustment. It did align easily and so far I haven't had to use shims on the dovetailed ways. Since I don't adjust my tables much I think it should stay that way. From a jointer perspective, I wish I'd bought the DJ-20, I think I'd have been happier with it. I didn't think the Grizzly experience was worth the money I saved buying their machine. I thought shipping was high ($130), it backordered for three months, I had problems with Overnight (their shipping company), and the machine is crudely made. Even though it works well, I won't be buying another Grizzly machine.
    Dennis

Hi Joe,

Some advice from someone else with a large pro shop. Everyone thinks a large shop(2000 sq. ft.) is a dream come true, don't be mistaken, I love my shop, but planning is very important in a large shop or you will walk many extra miles in a day.

I also think you should increase your price range if you can or you will be upgrading very soon. An 8" jointer is a must. A 15" planer will do, but think cabinet style. And I would strongly suggest a large bandsaw, 16" to 20". You will be surprised how useful a powerful bandsaw is.

I know spending money sometimes is difficult, but I sure wish I had all the money back I wasted on entry level machines that really compromise and slow down production.

Good luck.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 02-16-2005 at 8:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    And I would strongly suggest a large bandsaw, 16" to 20". You will be surprised how useful a powerful bandsaw is.
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    I know spending money sometimes is difficult, but I sure wish I had all the money back I wasted on entry level machines that really compromise and slow down production.
    Thanks everyone for your responses, but Richard, this is the stuff that I need to hear - though may not like. Spending money IS difficult given the added expense of rent, but slow production was one of the major reasons I took the next step to bigger space to begin with. That said, what are some of the caveats that you ran into with the entry level machines? Also - and please forgive the ignorant question - what does a 16" or 20" bandsaw buy me?

Waiting to hear,
    -joe

Hi Joe,

I am going to go out on a limb here and advise against the Grizzly equipment. I have worked in two pro shops that have utilized their stuff and it has in many respects been a real let down. Check the other post by Scott Parks ("Follow up with Grizzly table saw") I know the cost is a real issue but for a production facility that will use the tools daily the Grizzly stuff just does not hold up and in many respects the quality is just not there. Now many will argue with me on this and i would not be suprised to wake up tommorrow to hate mail but i just felt i would give my opinion. I was in your shoes not too long ago in setting up my shop for full time production with my furniture business. I just waited a little longer and saved more to buy really good quality equipment.
    Again I really hope i havn't ticked anyone off. The grizzly tools have a very LOYAL following.

Hope this helps and if I can help any more please do not hesitate to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni
    ... I'd really like to get the most value for my money - that's why I'm turning to Grizzly. ...joe Unni WoodWorks
    Joe,

I have the G0513 17" bandsaw and am very satisfied with it. I agree with one of the other posters about going with this size bandsaw for the additional power and resaw capacity. Since I finally got this saw a few months ago, I wonder how I ever got along with a smaller one for so many years. The saw comes with a 1/2" blade on it; for additional blades get Timberwolf or Woodslicer.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I have two Grizzly machines in my shop (used to have three but I sold the small DC) and there'll be more this year. I have had nothing but good experiences so far!

Robby,

If I were to pay heed and get better machines, would you advise for or against getting bigger and better used machines?

Having these machines would make some upcoming projects a heck of a lot easier.

Please note that all of this information (Grizzly fans and not) is extremely helpful to me and my one-man operation. Making informed business decisions is critical.

Again - thanks.
    -joe

i have had great experience with my grizzly products. customer service also has been excellent. try to find someone local who has a few machines and see for yourself. i know one thing....if i were doing woodworking all day long in that kind of space...i'd be looking at bigger machines. .........12 - 16 inch jointer. big planer....drum sander. good luck. i'm jealous.
    chris

Find a used industrial machine daeler near you. There are lots of small shops going out of buisness and lots of good industrial equipment for sale cheep. Sometimes you can get it for less than the hoby stuff.