Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table saw electrical question

Dick the main advantage that you will gain is that you will reduce the current draw of your motor. This may or may not be a benefit to you. For me it reduces the overall current load on my 200A panel (not overall power or wattage load). The existing 14/3 cord can be reused with a new cord cap. The branch circuit feeding the motor cannot be supplied with a breaker current rating greater than 15A by NEC table. So you will need a 2 pole 15A breaker to replace the single pole breaker currently feeding the 120V circuit.

Blog Entries
    I'll just add that I have run my saw on 110v and 220v each a couple of times. With a properly provisioned, dedicated circuit, there is no perceivable difference in performance. I used the same 12ga power cord from the tablesaw when running on either voltage and the switch supports SPST and DPST. It is currently running 110v. This may change again as I bring new or different machines into the shop but, it is of no consequence to me. Just my experience.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ralph,
    I just bought a 2 pole 20A breaker so I can install an outlet for the new 8" jointer (3 HP, 18A IIRC) I have ordered. I was going to run the saw on the same circuit since I won't be running both machines simultaneously.Is this OK, or should I just leave the saw on 110V?
    Dick

Dick,

Yes, you can run both the saw and the jointer on the same circuit since you aren't planning on running both of them at the same time. If you should try to run them both you will likely trip the breaker
    The motor that came on your Delta contractor saw is unique, in that it was designed internally to be a 1 1/2 hp motor on 120 volts and a 2 hp motor at 240 volts. The motor has internal taps in the windings to accomplish this and it is not like a standard 120/240 volt motor. Many of the others who have responded aren't aware of it's special design.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    You are correct that Delta derated this motor, but not correct in what that actually means. Derating the motor simply means they lowered the numbers printed on the nameplate. If connected to a 20 amp 120 volt circuit, the motor would still produce the full rated power. This motor is no different than any other dual voltage motor.
    Correct Rick. Delta actually published a "clarification" on this issue. As with any dual voltage motor, horsepower is exactly the same on either voltage.
    Howie.........

I have one of the 110 volt Uni saws. Yes, Delta made such. No, it's not a hybrid, but a full fledged Uni. Motor is rated the same way, which allows for a standard 15 amp plug. If it were rated for 2.0 HP at 110, it would have to be equipted with a 20 amp cord set.