Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GX 7000 Ricoh

GX 7000 Ricoh

The power-up issue has happened. It won't turn on. It's still under warranty and they will send me 2 free ink tanks, plus a new (not refurbished) printer. The warranty for the new printer begins at the sale date of the old printer, so in Nov or Dec, I'll need to get an extended warranty from where I purchased it. My sales rep made me aware of the problem when I bought it. It sounds like a widespread problem with this model.

Marty, I wrote you a msg about it, but your private msg storage is full. Clean out the cobwebs! lol

The good news is that I am caught up on my dye sub stuff, and should receive the replacement printer this week. I was just doing a couple of jobs for family.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

Amy,

Not aware there was such an issue with the Ricoh. I've been told by virutally everyone to "never" turn the printer off. I know that sometimes that is a necessity if moving it, etc. - but I have not had an issue with mine since Jan '11. Sorry to hear you're having issues and that Ricoh is taking care of it. Would yours be an early model?
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

[QUOTE=Amy Shelton;1744452].

Marty, I wrote you a msg about it, but your private msg storage is full. Clean out the cobwebs! lol

QUOTE]

Cleaned up and noted!

I haven't turned mine off in the couple years I have had it. Maybe lucky.

I rarely recommend things any more as quality issues aboud everywhere.
    I do love this printer though.

Amy, The inbox is now open! lol
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

If you guys are not members of http: //www.t-shirtforums.com/ you should be. There is a very good dye sub forum there to which the reps for Conde and JP monitor and participate in. The Ricoh problem has been widely discussed there. When I bought my Ricoh, I considered the 7000 but after reading all the bad press on it, I decided to buy the smaller one as a starter. Check it out.
    What I don't understand is that this problem is apparently something that has been going on for some time and the fix for it is to "buy an extended warranty". Go figure that one out.
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 07-21-2011 at 8:36 PM.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Same issue here, I am looking at a 2 year old Ricoh 7000 sitting on a shelf below my new 3300. Power went out about 6 months ago and I hate to just throw it in the trash. 3300 has just as good quality of print, just not as big of format which I really didn't need anyway, I just liked the speed and the 3300 wasn't made at the time of purchase.

Terry, mine was (still is) a new model... I kept it turned on almost all the time. But if the power goes off for a few seconds, the printer turns off and if I happen to not notice it, it can be off for days. The day before, we had to flip the breakers off to do some rewiring in the building. I have heard this is more of an issue for people who don't print often, and I fall into that category.

Larry, I have learned a lot from the t-shirt forum, too. It's wonderful how accessible the tech support for dye sub is on that forum.

Gary, I feel the same way about not throwing it away. If there's some way to get it operational, even using regular inks, that would be great. I've only used the extra large paper once. But I'll need to dye sub some 12" x 12" tiles sometime.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

If anybody is interested and not following it, that thread on the 7000 is really getting heated up over there. Seems it has to do with the ink being supplied by Sawgrass that is making the boards go out on the printers. There are ink carts out there with specific dates that have apparently been the cause of this. If you have a 7000 and have not checked it out, please do.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

On my third 7000. The last one was after they fixed the problem. Both failed before the original warranty went out. I felt that I needed to buy the extended warranty. Bad thing was, when I bought the first one a one year factory extended warranty was about a $100 and the two yr was like $149. After all the problem they told us that ricoh would not sell an extended warranty if they were being used for dye sub. So now the distributor has thier own warranty and they charge $200 for one yr. I hate to look at extended warranty prices. Its not hard to figure how they come up with a figure. By the time they figure the cost of parts and an average travel expense and salary for a tech then factor in the number of expected failures. The more problems they are having, the more you will pay.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Nix View Post
    On my third 7000. The last one was after they fixed the problem. Both failed before the original warranty went out. I felt that I needed to buy the extended warranty. Bad thing was, when I bought the first one a one year factory extended warranty was about a $100 and the two yr was like $149. After all the problem they told us that ricoh would not sell an extended warranty if they were being used for dye sub. So now the distributor has thier own warranty and they charge $200 for one yr. I hate to look at extended warranty prices. Its not hard to figure how they come up with a figure. By the time they figure the cost of parts and an average travel expense and salary for a tech then factor in the number of expected failures. The more problems they are having, the more you will pay.
    That printer/ink combination is a BAD product. Someone, somewhere knows the answer to it. What they do about it hinges on how much money it's going to cost them. One should not have to buy an extended warranty to protect themselves against a bad product, especially when the manufacture's know it's bad. I believe that the Ricoh printer, designed for a OEM ink system and not someone else's ink is justified in not selling an extended warranty if those inks are used. After all, Ricoh is not in the business of manufacturing sublimation printers. They could care less about sublimation. Truth be known, it is probably a very small part of their overall business. So, I think you folks that are unlucky enough to own a 7700 for sublimation should be looking to Sawgrass to fix the problem. I bought the smaller 3300 and it has been good so far, but I think when I expand my system I am going to an Epson printer with Cobra inks.

The problem lies that Sawgrass has a patent on inks. They don't manufacture a printer for them so they work around existing printers.
    All printer manufactures will not guarentee their printers if they find you don't use their brand of ink be it dye sub or regular inks.

I guess I may have been lucky as I am on my 4th ink set and not one problem. Sometimes I know it's the luck of the draw.

Me personally I would stay away from Epson. They too have issues with the printer rejecting modified cartridges. Worse unless you are
    running almost continious expect clogged heads and much frustration in that end. I have had 3 Epsons C82 (I went through a handfull of 1400's)
    I almost gave up with dye sub until I got the Ricoh. The Epson 1400 had too much junk built into it. I talked with corporate a few times and they sent me
    refurbs back and within a week same trouble. Get this.... the trouble was they had a slide out tray that you could print special CD's on (has anyone really done that?)
    It read the tray was open and would just send the sheet through, no printing.
    I said that ought to cut out this stuff and just make a basic production printer with no frills and they would sell great. The problem is everyone views printers
    as disposable and just get a new one when it fails.

There is too much money selling inks for one of the dye sub companies to come up with a printer on their own. No profits in the printer. I wouldn't be surprized if the printer manufactures are
    putting in software that if you don't use their inks it shuts you down.

I wonder if it's just the dye sub inks that are causing a problem, I haven't searched to see if it's a Ricoh problem and they have it with their ink sets too.

dye sub has this really great upside you think that Sawgrass would get together with Ricoh or Epson and manufacture one that is designed for these ink sets.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Sorry guys, but a company claiming their printer power supplies are failing because you're not using their inks is the same as a car company claiming the engine died because you didn't use their stock wheels. I wish the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act worked on things other than cars.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan

I disagree on this point. There is a substantial difference in dye sub versus standard ink jet inks. It's one thing to use generic ink jet cartridges but another to use dye sub. If you've worked with dye sub you'll know that it's notorious for clogging among other things. Like a couple of others, I threw my Epson 1290 dedicated dye sub printer in the trash. The problem is magnified if you're a low volume printer. The power supply thing may be a stretch but I suspect there is some basis for it.

That Sawgrass has a monopoly on dye sub ink for desk top printers further exacerbates the problem.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Dan

I disagree on this point. There is a substantial difference in dye sub versus standard ink jet inks. It's one thing to use generic ink jet cartridges but another to use dye sub. If you've worked with dye sub you'll know that it's notorious for clogging among other things. Like a couple of others, I threw my Epson 1290 dedicated dye sub printer in the trash. The problem is magnified if you're a low volume printer. The power supply thing may be a stretch but I suspect there is some basis for it.

That Sawgrass has a monopoly on dye sub ink for desk top printers further exacerbates the problem.
    I don't disagree that the inks might clog the heads... what I do have a problem with is the company not warrantying the power supply because you didn't use their inks. If the PS keeps failing, it's not the ink's fault.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I would be more inclined to believe the idea that the factory pumps may be overloaded if the line or nozzles get the least bit restricted. More than likely the pump get its power from the same board. Or maybe SG is not filling OME carts and the chips on the carts could be failing and taking the power board with it. I love mine as long as it dont die again. Works super, only thing I would wish was that you could track the ink usage better, mine always gives out with the printer showing 24% left. Most of the time the carts are empty.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Dan

I'm not faulting your theory but there may be cause for the mfr to balk on this issue such as a little thing like a faulty reset code on the sub cartridge..
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7