Thread: Indoor Foam Letter Suggestions

Indoor Foam Letter Suggestions

We don't normally do a lot of larger indoor signs but today we were approached to do one. I'm looking to cut out some 3-4" Tall letters to either mount on a wall or on a backer board. I was thinking of using acrylic, but I think I'd like to letters to be 3/8" or 1/2" thick possibly which rules out acrylic. My next thought was foam.

Anyone have a suggestion of which foam I can use on the equipment listed in my signature?

I could rotary cut any foam but the issue comes with getting cutters that will cut that deep with 11/64" shank. I've done some research and it seems the pink or blue foam from HD/Lowes can be lasered safely and looks decent so I'll pick up some of that tomorrow to do a test.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

We used Sintra, for both indoor and outdoor installs it comes in various thicknesses and is easy to work with. It can be edge shaped and engraved.
    Hope this helps

Sinta would be great but would take far too long to cut. My CNC engraver only has a 70 watt spindle.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20

If you do not have a lot of copy, a Bandsaw/Scroll Saw would work.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

I'd like to use foam. I can easily cut that with the rotary engraver and on the laser. I know certain foams will work. Just looking for some first hand experience.

What about ordering them from Scott Plastic