Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goin' Deep!

Goin' Deep!

I had a friend who is in our turning club make a new boring bar for me......picked it up this evening at the meeting of one of the clubs I am a member of..........

Boring bar is 24 inches long, 1 inch wide, and the cutter tip is can be replaced when needed............I think I am going to have him reduce the shank size on this or maybe another one to 5/8" so it will fit in my Monster rig!

IMGP2935.jpgIMGP2936.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yes I'd like to see this one in action

Roger, I will be curious to hear how this works. My gut tells me that a round 1" bar would have less flex, but my brain says no - the square stock has more metal/mass. I am sure there are engineers among us that could comment. Could your friend just make a section of "bushing" that will male into the Monster and female for the end of the bar? Kind of a "union".

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, I will be curious to hear how this works. My gut tells me that a round 1" bar would have less flex, but my brain says no - the square stock has more metal/mass. I am sure there are engineers among us that could comment. Could your friend just make a section of "bushing" that will male into the Monster and female for the end of the bar? Kind of a "union".
    Basically, John........what we discussed was to have him take that shank portion down to 5/8 inch........he already has his metal lathe set up, and said it would not take 10 minutes.............

He also asked if I would do a hollowing demo for the club..........I told him my lathe has a different gap between the ways than the 3520b the club demos on..........he said he could make me the metal clamping plate/ nut that fits between the ways on the bottom........he wants to come to my shop and see what I have got...........it will be my first demo.........
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-20-2011 at 6:44 PM.

Roger, I think you will enjoy doing the demo!! While I have not turned for our club, I did do a PowerPoint presentation of the elements of design from my perspective, and I really enjoyed the exchange with the membership. This could be the start of a second career for you!! I can see you traveling around, doing demos, being guest preacher for the local congregations - nice marriage of sorts!! Try to pic northern locations during July!!!! Southern locations in January would be good!

Actually John, I mis-spoke............I happened to remember that I was asked to do another in August at my first club........as part of a demo on hollowing which will include 2 other turners as well.........I have a conflict with my wife's family reunion that weekend, so I am not sure I will be able to make it.........or she might have to make the trip with one of my sons.

I never considered myself a "circuit" speaker....................hummm...........demos and altar calls..............does have a bit of a ring to it doesn't it?

Looks great Roger! I have one very similar that Kirk M. made for me, but I think Denny's tool has a finer finish! I hope we get a chance to do a hollowing demo at CVW this year, but we have demos scheduled until at least October. Officers' meeting is coming up soon. I've heard great things about the Monster system. I haven't done that many hollow forms, but I'm stuck on the handheld tools for the moment.

Edit: Roger, I think you have a natural ability for public speaking, in both arenas!

Roger, nice tool, good to have someone close to zamoo one. 24" is very deep, it you thin the bar i question the tool to have the strenght to go that deep. try it at present strentht before thinning, enjoy, give us a report

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    Looks great Roger! I have one very similar that Kirk M. made for me, but I think Denny's tool has a finer finish! I hope we get a chance to do a hollowing demo at CVW this year, but we have demos scheduled until at least October. Officers' meeting is coming up soon. I've heard great things about the Monster system. I haven't done that many hollow forms, but I'm stuck on the handheld tools for the moment.

Edit: Roger, I think you have a natural ability for public speaking, in both arenas!

Nate,

I like this bar that Denny made..........seems like it got raves from Fred and others...........if I can get him to reduce the shank to fit my monster rig, then I will have the extra capacity to go deeper........at least that is what I think should happen. I like the fact the captured systems take the stress out of the hollowing process, where the handhelds are more subject to putting a lot of torque on the arms and wrists............might save having stress related injuries in the future!

Roger that looks like a nice tool. Would like to hear a report on turning at a depth greater than 12" with it. I have to agree that thinning the bar to fit you hollowing system might weaken it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Roger- if the round shank on this shaft is 3/4" then Randy already makes a step-up adapter for the Monster that allows 5/8">3/4" for tools like Jordan hollowers and others I have made over the years to be used in my Monster. I love the Monster system, which allows so much additional adaptability with my other old toys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    Roger- if the round shank on this shaft is 3/4" then Randy already makes a step-up adapter for the Monster that allows 5/8">3/4" for tools like Jordan hollowers and others I have made over the years to be used in my Monster. I love the Monster system, which allows so much additional adaptability with my other old toys!
    Oh boy, Jamie........I was not aware of that adapter........the current shank is 3/4" round. I will have to take a look on Randy's site! Thanks a bunch!

Roger, I have a 1 1/4" shaft off my D hollower. At about 12" I start to get flex. I would not decrease the diameter of your boring bar. As John mentioned, mass is your friend for deep hollowing.
    I turn, therefore I am

14. Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    Roger, I have a 1 1/4" shaft off my D hollower. At about 12" I start to get flex. I would not decrease the diameter of your boring bar. As John mentioned, mass is your friend for deep hollowing.

Dick,

I just had the gentleman who made the bar here at my shop.........he took measurements, etc. and will make it to work with my Monster system, which he said will not structurally weaken the bar.........the end of the bar will go into the Monster articulating arm, and all that steel will serve as one unit, locked together............held in place by the set screws........should not be a problem whatsoever.

This man is a turner as well, [has a PM 3520b] and is very knowledge-able in machining, etc. I fully trust his judgment on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    Jamie,

I looked on the Monster web site, and could not find this adapter you mentioned.........maybe I overlooked something, but I think I have the issue solved another way.....we will see........if what we are doing does not work, then I will revisit this........not anticipating having to return to an adapter solution though.