Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a new multi meter - Suggestions please!

I own a Fluke 77,a Craftsman, and several of the HF freebies. Most of what I do (continuity, voltage (120 /240), the HF does nicely. But I can tell you it won't check the voltage on an electric fence charger but once. POOF!

Blog Entries
    The big orange has a nice Klein tools meter for $50. Cat III etc, I've had one for quite a while. works great.

Thanks to all for your help & suggestions! I went to Sears Hardware (my preffered store, awesome people there) last night. The flukes they had were way too expensive. I picked up a Extech EX210 for now, which is made by Flir? It's seems pretty nice, even has a built in IR Thermometer. It was $69, I may taking it back after shopping around some more based on everyones suggestions.

Thanks again!

Oh, and the washer is confirmed dead! It was there when we bought our house, kinda old, nothing fancy, time for a new one! And at least I got a new tool out of the deal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    And at least I got a new tool out of the deal!!!
    Total veteran move!
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

If its an old simple one you might be able to fix it cheaper than you think if its an electrical problem.

I've gotten parts from http://www.RepairClinic.com before. They happen to be relatively local to me so I've picked them up instead of shipping but the prices are pretty reasonable and they seem to be good guys.

Thanks Matt, I'll keep that in mind. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the timer or the main controller. The timer is about $80, and the controller is over $200. We have a store where you can get a used washing machine for $60 with a warranty, so I think it's not worth trying to replace parts, plus, LOML seems anxious to get a new one! When she saw I had the entire washer disassembled, she was ready for a new one then!

Blog Entries
    Extech's are good (I used to manage the test equipment line for a distributor) we never got any returns on their products, and many were used in commercial applications. They are not made by Flir... what happened is that Flir purchased Extech essentially to utilize their distribution network to expand their thermal imager market reach. Fluke has been making big inroads in that area, and Flir wanted to play defense basically. But anyways, Extech's products are all made overseas (Taiwan and China mostly) as you'd expect at that price point. (but again, never any returns on their products in my 5 years managing the line)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    controller is over $200
    Must be newer than I pictured if it has a controller. The timer on our 10yo Maytag controls everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Must be newer than I pictured if it has a controller. The timer on our 10yo Maytag controls everything.
    You caught me Matt! I didn't research enough. I just assumed one thing was the timer (the timer motor) and the rest was the controller, based on some non-model specific info I was reading. Mine does only have a timer like the one you mention. $107 for the part plus shipping. I'll run it by SWMBO and let her decide. She does all the laundry anyway! (I offered to help once, she told me to never touch her laundry!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Extech's are good (I used to manage the test equipment line for a distributor) we never got any returns on their products, and many were used in commercial applications. They are not made by Flir... what happened is that Flir purchased Extech essentially to utilize their distribution network to expand their thermal imager market reach. Fluke has been making big inroads in that area, and Flir wanted to play defense basically. But anyways, Extech's products are all made overseas (Taiwan and China mostly) as you'd expect at that price point. (but again, never any returns on their products in my 5 years managing the line)
    Good to know Bob! I think I might stick with Extech, but order a new one they have online with a clamp on ammeter and temp sensor, then return the one I got.

I like my 33 year old Simpson. But I need some new leads for it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I replaced a timer on our 15+ yr old Maytag, and it was pretty straightforward -- plug & play (or was it plug & pray?).

I only wrestled a little while with the notion that I was throwing good money after bad, but since the timer replacement, we have gotten several more years use.

Of course, we didn't have that option of the $60 used unit at the rehab store. That sounds like a fun place to shop!

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    I replaced a timer on our 15+ yr old Maytag, and it was pretty straightforward -- plug & play (or was it plug & pray?).

I only wrestled a little while with the notion that I was throwing good money after bad, but since the timer replacement, we have gotten several more years use.

Of course, we didn't have that option of the $60 used unit at the rehab store. That sounds like a fun place to shop!
    Well, actually, going to pick up a used one for $30! Guy said it was the last one he wants it gone!

Fluke are the best. Ebay is a good source but there is a great many models to pick from. I have a 73 and 77.

+1 on the Fluke 87. I have seen a couple on CL and in a local pawn shop for less than than $100.