Thread: where can I find Iroko (or other teak-like wood) in IL?

where can I find Iroko (or other teak-like wood) in IL?

Does anyone in the northern IL/Southeastern WI area know of a source for Iroko (African-Teak) or anything like it? I found a great price online at Wall Lumber in NC but as far as I can tell they have a 100 bdft minimum?
    I have a smaller project (bed) and while I need something that looks close to teak, I'm not excited about paying upwards of $35/bdft for the real deal. I've just been doing Google searches but it hasn't helped. Probably doesn't help that up 'til now I've designed around hardwood that I can actually see and personally select so the mail order lumber thing is virgin territory. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought this would be much simpler. Thanks!

Johnsons in South Bend. 574 277 8350

Across the lake, but a great supplier in Traverse City, Mi is Rare Earth Hardwoods, a direct importer and supplier to many smaller outlets.

I have done hundreds of thousands with these two suppliers and am always happy.

Larry Edgerton
    Crooked Tree Joinery

Ihaven't done a job in Teak in a while. I just noticed the price quoted! Wow!

When I moved my shop I had some left from a job and I paid $17 ft for it. That explains why the owner of the local marina was so happy to buy all I had left at $17 a foot.

i know this wont help you but we have teak trees growing on our land in the north of thailand and it will be ready to harvest in around three years.this is plantation grown teak though and in general does not have the tight growth rings that the forest harvested teak had,sadly there is almost no natural grown teak left in thailand .we will probably need a permit to cut our own teak as it is against the law to cut teak or mahogany now which is reflected in the price you have to pay

"I found a great price online at Wall Lumber in NC but as far as I can tell they have a 100 bdft minimum?"

Minimum is 10BdFt. Call and ask for Brad.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

hey thanks for the input thus far. Tony, I wasn't looking at their site while they were open, I'll try to call them this afternoon. Thanks for the clarification!