Thread: Bell question

Bell question

I finally found the schoolbell I wanted for my schoolhouse reproduction yesterday. Great! exactly what I wanted, love Craigslist.

My question is...... I want to sandblast it and paint it to look like aged brass. Its cast iron, not in bad shape, but a bit of rust starting. Will sandblasting affect the tone, or do I worry too much?

And, what is a good process to get the aged brass look with paint?

Larry

I'm not a metallurgist Larry but cleaning it off and then having it brass plated might be a better way to go. Probably more expensive though.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

About 60 years ago my Dad had a school bell and a neighbor had it galvanized for him. That killed the tone. If you have a cracked one they cannot be brazed without killing the tone also. The ones that you see the inside usually is not painted.
    Good luck,
    Dave

I would refrain from sand blasting as this will make the surface pitted. Having tried this on a old hand plane I can assure you the paint layer needs to be pretty thick to cover the pits left by the blasting.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    I would refrain from sand blasting as this will make the surface pitted.....
    Perhaps you could have it media blasted with walnut shells. I know it's gentle enough to keep auto body panels from distorting. IF blasting turns out to be one of the steps.

Paint stripper would be easier on the metal, and you can do it yourself.

Check out http://www.sculptnouveau.com they might just have what you are looking for.
    Also, do a search of sculptnouveau here on Sawmillcreek and you will find several discussions on its use.

Spooge it. Electrolysis is another word for it.
    It is talked about in-depth on OWWM.org
    1 tablespoon Arm & Hammer washing soda per gallon of water.

Top.bmp.jpg
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 07-21-2011 at 1:53 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks gentlemen....

I have some reading to do. That sculptnouveau japanese brown would work for me. Thanks Rich.

I have a sandblast cabinet, so that is why that was my first thought. I also ruined a 49 chevy cab with a sandblaster, so now I ask. I will look into that spooge thingy Myk mentioned. Someone painted this thing gold at one point, and I want to get rid of that first.

Thanks again, Larry