Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Is the Klausz-Frid-Scand Bench Dead?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    He said he found the big wheel in a junk yard. Go back a page or 2 to see the round handle for the wagon vise. For some reason I just read this whole thread!
    Oops!!!

I likely read it before, but the thread is getting a bit aged, like my memory.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hello George,

Yes, I used edible flaxseed oil and cured in the oven, the same way one would cure a new cast iron pan. The finish is very hard after cooking. It's pretty dry here and I don't have a big issue with rust, but might be fun to try, so long as cooking at 500 F won't warp the tool.

Cheers,
    C

Hello Jim,

The thread is getting pretty aged as well--it's been a long process

C

Hello all,

Brief update. For better or worse, I decided to "unsplit" my split-top bench. After 3 years, I did not once pull out the spacer and use it as a split top, though will admit that I haven't been in the shop much during the last year and a half. The gap, well, it just bugged me. So I milled a snug fitting gap, glued all three pieces together and decided it was a good time to re-flatten the top and do a bit of other tuning up. As a process, the split-top is a great one and I was able to do all of the work myself except a flipping of the top after it was completely glued together. Thus, I would build as a split top again, with a final jointing as I did in the end.

Here are a couple of shots, including a ~1/16" benchtop onthe floor in front of the stove.

File_000.jpgFile_003.jpgIMG_0008.jpg
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 07-25-2016 at 2:25 PM.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Nice looking bench!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice bench.
    On the other hand I use my spacer gap quite often as a planing stop or crosscutting stop or sometimes I remove it and then use the gap for clamps. Mine is the setup to be a bit less than 1/2 inch above the bench when in the elevated position.

Thanks Brian! I took the other fork in the road and built a Roubo rather than scand bench after much hand wringing, as documented in this (long) thread. After all the back and forth, I must say that I'm pleased as a peach with my bench, but there is something about the aesthetics of a scand bench that still has a strong pull. If I were to build another, I might go the other way. And a scand bench would be most likely if I could only have one bench (I have a second bench slated to have a dedicated dovetailing vise).

Best,
    Chris

Thanks Reinis! Glad to hear you're finding a split top useful.
    --Yogi Berra

Nope, not dead.

Yes, complicated build!!

Bench1.jpg

Bench0.JPG

Hello Robert,

That's a beauty! I'm sure you're pleased with it. Is the tail vise wooden/traditional?
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Thanks Brian! I took the other fork in the road and built a Roubo rather than scand bench after much hand wringing, as documented in this (long) thread. After all the back and forth, I must say that I'm pleased as a peach with my bench, but there is something about the aesthetics of a scand bench that still has a strong pull. If I were to build another, I might go the other way. And a scand bench would be most likely if I could only have one bench (I have a second bench slated to have a dedicated dovetailing vise).

Best,
    Chris
    The shoulder vise is really handy to have for dovetail work. Other than that I think the Roubo has many advantages over it. If I had room for another bench I'd probably shrink down my scandi bench (and make it a little more traditional) and build a Roubo.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hello Robert,

That's a beauty! I'm sure you're pleased with it. Is the tail vise wooden/traditional?
    Yes it is.

Robert, my hat is off to you. I stared at plans for that vise for a long while, but in the end went with a metal vise.

Brian, sounds like the answer is simple. We both 'need' two benches and the culture war can end
    --Yogi Berra

Robert, my hat is off to you. I stared at plans for that vise for a long while, but in the end went with a metal vise.

Brian, sounds like the answer is simple. We both 'need' two benches and the culture war can end
    So did I LOL!! Mostly did it for the challenge. I actually think a wagon vise is more practical.

Don't know how many times I walked away from it during the build.
    I guess the tail vise too about as long as the whole top.

Double good on you then for sticking it through. Interesting to hear that you think a wagon vise would be more practical; I've wondered the opposite My only lingering doubt is whether I would be getting more use out of a traditional (metal) tail vise. I nearly ordered the LN one. That said, thus far I haven't encountered any real issue and don't really anticipate one. The BC install was a bit fiddly, but straightforward.
    --Yogi Berra