Thread: Floor stand for outboard turning

Floor stand for outboard turning

I have a PM 3520b,and the head can slide all the way to the end for outboard turning.The floor stands made my PM are almost $400, forcing me to come up with a design out of wood or iron that i cobble myself.Any info, of successful designs and if your happy with how your tool rest operates in your floor stand.I'd like to make mine out of wood, hollow the center and pour lead shot or some such in the legs..Thanks rob

Just thinking out loud------- build a pillar---- wide base-----tapper towards the top-----fill with cement------use a heavy pipe the correct size to match your tool rest--- you will need a set screw to use for adjustments.
    Yup-----you could do something like that.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Google Mustard Monster. It is a web site for the 3520. Lots of info on add ons for the Powermatic and adaptable to many other lathes. Here it is

http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/
    Member Illiana Woodturners

What about a large tire rim, or the bottom of a 55 gallon drum that has been cut off and filled with concrete, weld a sturdy piece of pipe the correct height you need it at, weld a colar at the top you can slid your tool posts into with a set screw to tighten it. Just a thought...there are many ways to make this.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I made one similar to the one posted here by Dave Schell, with in fact the help and guidance of Dave. A few changes on mine: I used a stainless steel down bar, round instead of square. I drill a coupler for my shaft as it had a 1" threaded end matching my PM tool rest. Coupler was 2"ish cold rolled 8" long drilled 1" through and through using my lathe.

if you build a freestanding outboard tool rest, be sure to use some wood or something to brace the tool rest so your tool rest cannot be drawn into the piece

I'm missing something. Why do you want a floor mounted tool rest? I bought an 18" bed extension with my 3520B. It comes with a banjo extension and allows you to work over the bed if you mount it in the lower position. I believe mine was $189. That's way safer than a floor stand. Won't that work for your needs?
    faust

Faust, I agree that the bed extension is the way to go unless you want to go REALLY huge, but I just priced them and the lowest shipped price I saw was about $335. Sounds like you got a great deal. Jon

thanks Bob for the Mustard Monster site that should be a good find. Rob