Thread: Jet or Rikon?

Cool Jet or Rikon?

I thought I would ask here. I have a Jet 14" bandsaw with riser and other additions,but I have not looked at the Rikon 18" yet but it looks pretty good. Would it be an upgrade if I sell the Jet and buy a Rikon? Also maybe thinking of keeping the Jet for small work. I want the Rikon for resawing. Any comments.

Thanks Tom

I sure like the looks of those Rikons...wish I had one. I would love to hear some feedback from those who have that BS.

Friend of mine got one and is in the process of hooking up the dust collection system, so a full evaluation is a bit premature. However at first glance it looks like a decent saw, the first cuts were pretty smooth. One thing I noticed right off was the quick release tension lever built in. I'll try to get a more detailed report as soon as the machine is up and running in full mode.

Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

From what I've seen, the Rikon looks a lot like the Grizzly G0513 and G0514 (but with cast iron wheels). It is probably at least made in the same factory. It looks like it has some nicer stuff like a metal tension wheel and carter style guides.

I chose the G0513 over the Jet saws for resaw capacity, HP, and better DC port layout. I'd choose the Rikon over the Jet for the same reasons.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I just bought the Rikon 18" this past sunday. Initial impressions are favorable. I Haven't been able to really test it out as of yet because I am waiting for the blades I purchased for it to arrive.
    I have the Jet 14" with a riser block also. I intend to keep it and have the Rikon specifically for resawing.
    I posted a thread on it this past sunday and when I get the blades I plan to post a more indepth review.
    On first glance some of the components look a little "lite", specifiaally the trunnions, but some how there is a high degree of strength and stiffness to the trunnion/table assembly despite the "lite" appearance. The Saw also comes with only 2 sizes of bearings, and they are really beefy, H6201's and H6204"s. The height adjusment rack seems lite also, but the operation is smooth, with no perceptible mechanical hysterisis. Dust collection worked very well with the under the table port, it was less effective with the port at the bottom of the machine.
    Like I said, I'm just waiting for some good resaw blades to "Put the wood to it"

Rikon 18

Hi Thomas,
    I've had the Rikon since Nov. and am very pleased with it. I have an Inca 10" that is great for scroll work and now I can dedicate it to that purpose(keep your Jet). The 2 hp motor and the beastly cast iron wheels develope tons of power for big resawing and the table is large and solid also. This is the largest BS I've used and I have found it to be easy and safe to use. Other posts have covered the guide system and I've found the roller bearing adj. to be accurate and quick. Blade changes < 5 min. Fit and finish are great. I bought mine from Don at Cyberwoodworking and knowlegde and service were perfect. The only addition I would like would be a foot brake/switch, but after talking with Steve(one of the owners I believe) he said that takes the 18 beyond the market price point they were aiming for.
    This saw is a good value and the advantage for you over the Jet you have now is power for resawing so it seems like a good match. Good luck,John.

Smile

The Rikon is in the box. We'll I could not pass up the sale price on the 18" Rikon. I plan to use it for resawing and keep the Jet for general use. I will not be able to unpack until I get this kitchen done.

Tom

Tom, do check inside the box. Several folks in "other virtual places" reported some degree of hidden shipping damage inside the carton. Check it now as it will be harder to deal with once time passes. That doesn't mean you need to break your rule and use it before your kitchen is completed...but it's always a good idea to insure your purchase is whole right away.

Congratulations on your new saw! (I wish I would have had the room to keep my 14" saw when I bought the larger one, but didn't have the space)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim
    Thanks for the heads up I was not even thinking of that. I'll strip the box sides down and check it out today. I'm hoping to keep both saws on wheels for mobility. I was talking to the guys at the Woodcraft store and they said they have sold 12 or 13 in the past weeks. They recieve at least three saws a week. Have not yet had any bad feedback. Hope it works well.

Tom

Tom,
    I've been looking into bandsaws in the 16" 18" range for the past four months, the Rikon was one of the finalist, however I chose the Bridgewood WBS 17" the price was the same but there were a few features the Bridgewood had that I liked.

The saw arrived two weeks ago its a stout beast at 350 lbs. the fit and finish is remarkable and the tracking is right on. If you haven't seen this saw go to the Wilke Machinery web site and check it out.

David Bradshaw

I have a delta 14 and a mini max 20. It's really great to have two band saws.