Thread: Here I go again...

Here I go again...

Last week I ordered a Festool ETS 150/3 along with a CT36 dust extractor. Then today I ordered a TS55 EQ. I always told myself that I would never go down the Festool route but here I am for the second time, proving myself wrong....

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

2. It's a guilty pleasure, isn't it? It's like opting for the BMW when you told yourself that you were just going to get a Toyota- You feel guilty spending the extra money, but love the rush when you turn it on.

Sad to say I've done the same thing. Started with a TS55 and MFT/3. Then a CT26 to go with the saw. Then got a domino and last (so far) a jigsaw. I'm not saying I regret any of these purchases but drinking the green koolaid made me tipsy and I've really lost my footing down that slippery slope called FESTOOL!
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

I felt like an embarrassed addict until I read your post.
    "Hi I'm Ralph and..."

I too professed that I would never go down the Festool road. Well I found a CL deal a couple of weeks ago and just could not walk away. I got a CT33E, OF1400, ps300, ro125 and a cxs (will gloat in a separate post, no-pics mean it didn't happen) for a steal. The most important point I wanted to make is that after using the tools, all but the drill, I don't regret it at all. I only wish I had not been so stubborn in my earlier position.

Ya'll need to stop this crap right now!!!!! Jeez. I have seen them darn green things myself and wonder what the fuss was till I tried a TS 55. I was a nervous wreck, couldn't sleep. LOL BTW hope ya'll enjoy them I'm FESTOOL GREEN with envy!!

welcome to the green addicts club. I have a number of their tools and regret not a single purchase - some have proved more used & useful than others but no way to know that before owning. I like the dust collection, precision and unique capabilities - it makes using them more fun so they get used more.

only downside is it will empty your wallet faster than a crack habit but you can say the same thing about Martin or Felder

if you do any cabinet work consider the shelf pin drilling jig with a router - that is just plain slick. I also do all my casework with just domino's & glue - fast, easy, square & strong even for a weekend amateur.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    For those you want to take the plunge, but haven't, the solution is easy. Come down with lung disease. Have your pulmonologist tell you to spend the money on better dust control or find a new hobby. Worked for me.

Congrats on your new track saw.
    I've lost count of the number of times I've read a post where the poster asks how to make some sort of cut & I'm thinking, if you had a track saw, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redden View Post
    Last week I ordered a Festool ETS 150/3 along with a CT36 dust extractor. Then today I ordered a TS55 EQ. I always told myself that I would never go down the Festool route but here I am for the second time, proving myself wrong.... Gary
    Congrats on the new tools Gary. I've had my CT 36 and TS 55 for a few weeks now, good choice on your part. I'm curious what led you to choose the ETS 150/3 over the 150/5? I'm in the market for my first Festool sander.

Jefferey, The reason I went with the 150/3 is that I really only needed a finish sander. If I need to really take off the material I have a porter cable sander polisher or I can use my dual drum sander. I also read alot about them and I decided it would be the best fit for what I will mainly use it for. I am like alot of others that really do not like to sand but I hate the dust that goes along with sanding even more.

I am looking forward to the new TS55 as I have a job starting to build a new kitchen for someone and I really do not want to think about lugging 18 sheets or 3/4" maple on the table saw again. I have done that too many times and to say it is tough by yourself is a mild understatement. It makes for a very long day. I have a nice worm drive circular saw but it is a pain to measure and mark for the cut then mark where the stright edge guide will go so that I can make the cut. I know there are jigs that you can make to ease this process and I have used them but I never feel good about using them and there is still the possablility of the saw wandering away from the guide while you are making the cut. I checked tracking and it looks like my saw will be here on Friday, just in time for this weekend so I can start the project.

Gary
    Wallace Stegner

The track saw comes with a short rail that will crosscut a sheet of plywood. I strongly recommend getting a long rail too -- one that will let you rip a sheet of plywood. Using Festool's joiner thingy to hook together two short rails doesn't work reliably. The other thing I recommend is to build a 3'x3' speed square to set up the short rail at exactly 90 degrees. With the long rail for the initial rips, the short rail for crosscuts, and the big speed square to ensure right angles on the crosscuts, you can cut lots of rectangular panels quickly and accurately.

Gary, that's downright irresponsible of you to flaunt more Festool stuff on the forum.

For years I refused to drink the koolaid, now that I have I'm wondering why I didn't do it earlier.

I bought the Midi vacuum for collecting the dust from my ROS, now I'm thinking about a track saw........................Stop leading me astray

Regards, Rod.

Jamie, I am going to look at the Woodcraft up in San Antonio to see if they have a longer rail also. I just was not sure how that would handle the trip though FedEx to I decided to not order it with the saw. I might have to wait on the trip up there if this storm decides to become a hurricane and come visit this weekend. Thanks for the tip on building the square, I will do that.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Redden; 07-27-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Wallace Stegner