View Poll Results: Do you like the new Powermatic colors?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like it.

64 48.48%
  • No, I like the Gold

28 21.21%
  • Don't care

40 30.30%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Powermatic colors.

What happened to the "gold standard"? I don't think they needed to change it. Not that it doesn't look sharp in black, but since saw dust is very rarely black, it will be a bear to keep clean.
    I drink, therefore I am.

It must be easier than actually improving the machines. Wonder if they will last as long as the green ones. Dave

I was under the impression this is just an anniversary color. I dont think the gold standard will go away.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I was going to say the only reason I dont like it is because I dont have one... lol But it looks nice but I really dont care for dark colors in the shop. I like lighter colors because they are less depressing.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Blog Entries
    I agree with you Karl I think I like lighter colors myself. I have Jet bandsaw that is white and I think it is a good tool color. I think the Grizzly's look better when they're mostly white.

My shop wound up being split about even between Delta Gray and Mustard.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I was going to say the only reason I dont like it is because I dont have one... lol But it looks nice but I really dont care for dark colors in the shop. I like lighter colors because they are less depressing.

At AWFS they were saying that it was for this 90th anniversary and would be returning to the standard colors next year. I paid more attention to the 3520B lathe than anything else. I liked the color scheme. I'm sure it shows the dust more, but the mustard color isn't a treat either.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

When I first saw the table saw, it looked like a SawStop with a different set of stripes... No I don't care for it. Powermatic after all is "The Gold Standard"...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I got to see the whole lineup at AWFS in person, and let me say that I love it. They look better in person than the pics.

Gives the tools a more modern look and with that look comes the faux perception of safety and advanced technology...

I'd say that Sawstop might have the only sexier looking paint job and festool has the best color scheme.

This pic was taken by Damon, but it was my favorite PM tool besides the planer with byrd head:

Powermatic%20lathe.jpg

I don't care if it shows sawdust or not, the black looks better than that nasty pukey color some of you call "gold". Calling it "mustard" is complementary to that color, but calling it "gold" is just a big fib....

Give me black, give me white, give me red, give me navy or green, or even gray, but don't give me Powermatic's standard color; it's just nasty. They could have even made it a nice yellow... why did they have to pick such a nasty color?

But just so you know, I don't care that much about the color if the machine is quality. I can always spray paint it myself. Beauty is only skin deep, but you can't disguise quality.... Or junk.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Having had three sawstops in the high school shop where I taught for 30+ years, the PM is far superior to the ST. The quality of the milling and the machine itself is age tested. I had many many problems with the ST which should never occur. Proper training is the key to safety, not some funky technology that will not last like my 50 year old Uni.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    It must be easier than actually improving the machines. Wonder if they will last as long as the green ones. Dave
    David, I was thinking the same thing, reminds me of General.

I like General machinery a lot, and it's Canadian. The lack of innovation however led me to sell all my General machines and buy Hammer replacements.

Too bad Powermatic or General don't come up with some EU type machines.................Regards, Rod.

Doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I don't know why they changed from the green.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

A rep from Powermatic said the color was just for the fall lineup till the end of the year. But sure if people like it and sales go up they would make it permanent.
    Just for the record I like JET white or Grizzly white green as a color.

More amazing is only 107 votes with over 1,300 views.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I don't care what color my woodworking tools are as long as they do the job. Having said that, I think the new Powermatic color looks great. I'd love to have that lathe in my shop.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps