Thread: Restoration

Restoration

I guess this qualifies as a woodworking project. Not so much from scratch but I found it interesting. Hopefully you do as well.
    It's a Sacristy cabinet, built in Belgium and guessing around the late 1800's or so.
    I also have a Presiding chair to redo as well but that's another thread.
    This piece was quite damaged by water and high humidity which basically caused it to fall apart. Another "woodworker" was supposed to restore it but left it sit in an unheated and very damp basement.
    I had seen this ( as well as the chair) about 15 yrs ago and it was in fine shape. At that point I was supposed to do the restoration. It never happened.
    Anyway, it ended up in my shop all the worse for wear. A few areas needed carvings to be replaced and spliced in. Damaged wood had to be replaced. I had to make a new bolt for the lock mechanism, several linenfold panels had to be redone etc. after completely disassembling the piece down to the last stile and rail.
    I have a complete 6 part story on my blog, but here I can show a few details from the process.
    First shots are how it arrived,, then the breakdown, repairs, and reassembly.
    Hope you like it.IMG_8833.JPGIMG_8836.JPGIMG_8873.JPGIMG_8860.JPGIMG_8892.JPGIMG_8896.JPGIMG_8878.JPGIMG_8883.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-25-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-25-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

OK, I'm out of sequence here, but a few more shots along the way Also the last 4 shots are of the Presiding chair I'll start next.IMG_8860.JPGIMG_8894.JPGIMG_8897.JPGIMG_8861.JPGIMG_8848.JPGIMG_8845.JPGIMG_8843.JPGIMG_8851.JPG
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark-
    Impressive results. The color matching on your patches is spot-on. I'm looking forward to seeing what the chair looks like when it's all done.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

Another one here impressed with the restoration on the cabinet. You did a masterful job on the stain/color matching so it looks like nothing was ever replaced. I have restored a fair share of items in the past and know the difficulty in color matching new/original work. Thanks for the photo essay.

Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate your comments very much. Showing this work to the average Joe is one thing, showing it to guys who know is another. I'm glad it worked out well.
    I have a sinking feeling the chair will be a bugger. There is so much damage to it, the nature of the wood, so many things to give me a headache. I'm glad I started with the easier piece just to give me the confidence to tackle the chair. There are some parts on it that just give me the jitters. But ,,,nothing ventured , nothing gained. Just jump in and figure it out as I go along. But something tells me this won't clean up as well as the Cabinet as far as color is concerned. We'll see. I'll post it as well, good , bad , indifferent , it is what it is.
    Again, thank you for your compliments which encourage me to press on.
    The Woodworking Studio

You done good, son !!!
    MARK

Mark, that's a really great restoration. The piece now looks great and still exhibits that "wonderfulness" that older craftsmanship brought into play. Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am very impressed with your work.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear you feel the old world craftsmanship wasn't lost. That was my fear. Ending up with an old piece that doesn't look old anymore. That would have been a mistake I believe.

Here is a link to another post in the Woodcarvers forum, thought you might be interested in this as well.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...a-Wine-cabinet
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-26-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio