Thread: Anyone use a Jet 20" or similar planer?

Anyone use a Jet 20" or similar planer?

One of the local suppliers is having a "cost plus 10%" sale on Delta and Jet machinery.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a 20" planer, and although I have a lot of Delta equipment and no Jet machines I'm looking at the Jet because there is a $2400(list price) difference between the Jet and Delta. I haven't got the "sale" price from the dealer yet, but theres know way that gap is going to fill in that much on the Delta.

So anyone use the Jet or one of the similar "4 post" machines?
    BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

I'm happy with my Grizzly 20" look-alike. No issues with it. Nice planer.

Kevin. I have the Jet 15" planer, essentially a smaller version of the one you're looking at. No complaints so far. The infeed outfeed rollers were a little bit of a pain to set up initially. It came set up and ready to go out of the box, so to speak. After 4 years of infrequent abuse it's finally getting time to replace the blades, and do a tune up. The last 400 bd/ft of Jatoba sort of brought it to it's knees, so to speak. I don't understand the $2400 dollar list price difference, there's only so much performance a person can ask for from a planer.Must be something there tho'

At one time I had a grizzley 20" which seems to look a lot like the jet. I ran thousands of bd feet though it and it really worked pretty good. I even ran dozens of 4" X 8" x 16 foot long green white oak timbers though it and it still worked flawlessly. I think for the money you can't beat it. They have been making that planer for about 20 years now and it seems to me to have most of the bugs worked out of it. The one thing I did not like about the grizzley planer, which I believe that jet changed, is the power outfeed roller. On the griz the roller is a micro-ridged steel roller that would leave tiny impressions in the wood. I did try adjusting it and it did get better. I believe the jet has a urethane roller which would solve that problem and help explain the extra cost. I think the 4 post machines are quite stable and I have never had a problem with them going out of alighment. I say go for it.
    Last edited by lou sansone; 02-17-2005 at 9:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    At one time I had a grizzley 20" which seems to look a lot like the jet. I ran thousands of bd feet though it and it really worked pretty good. I even ran dozens of 4" X 8" x 16 foot long green white oak timbers though it and it still worked flawlessly. I think for the money you can't beat it. They have been making that planer for about 20 years now and it seems to me to have most of the bugs worked out of it. The one thing I did not like about the grizzley planer, which I believe that jet changed, is the power outfeed roller. On the griz the roller is a micro-ridged steel roller that would leave tiny impressions in the wood. I did try adjusting it and it did get better. I believe the jet has a urethane roller which would solve that problem and help explain the extra cost. I think the 4 post machines are quite stable and I have never had a problem with them going out of alighment. I say go for it.
    Mine also has the steel outfeed roller. But it has never shown those marks. Mine was adjusted RIGHT ON from the factory. Very happy with it.
    Before I purchased it, I priced a 20" Delta. The Delta was 3500.00, and the griz, which I had used a friends, and had already seen one in the warehouse, was 1195.00, plus 150.00 shipping.

I wrote a review on my website of the 20" yorkcraft planer I bought a few months ago. I'm going to post a link even though I can't quite seem to get my arms around the SMC rules. It's a non-commercial site so I hope it's ok.

http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/...rkcraft_planer

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Woodworth
    I'm going to post a link even though I can't quite seem to get my arms around the SMC rules. It's a non-commercial site so I hope it's ok.

http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/...rkcraft_planer
    Matt,

No problem with the link. Links to a specific item on your website is definitely permitted provided the link is germain to the subjct of the thread which in this case it is