Pipe Rudder Finale

Planning:

From John Gardner's The Dory Book

Layout:

Cutting and Fitting:

Turning, Threading and Milling:

Fitting Drifts:

Pouring Lead:

Rudder blade shaped, sanded and strengthened with 4oz fiberglass cloth set in epoxy:

Continued….
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Laminated tiller yoke laid out and mounting hardware installed:

Rudder thwart and rudder stock installed:

Rudder housing and shaft brazed:

Hardware bedded in epoxy and wood finished with varnish over epoxy:

Rudder assembled and tested for fit and function:

Then it all comes apart for final fit and finish waiting completion of the remainder of the boat.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 02-17-2005 at 7:29 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Excellent work as usual Bob. When I move back to the East coast in my golden years, I'll be grilling you with all sorts of questions when I get around to building my first marine craft!!!

...nice common sense approach to building...I like it. My grandpa's smiling as he watches from above...wish he were here to marvel at these tutorials on the computer. I'm sure he'd have much to share as well. But then he'd be confused as to which new tool to buy next!!!
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Fascinating

Love your work, Bob.

TJ

Beautiful work Bob, too bad you don't live on the east coast, I'd work with you for free just to learn.

Jay

Bob,
    I don't want to embarrass you, but do you have a fan club? I would graciously volunteer to head one up I mean that sincerely. Your's is probably a dying art? I know here in the heart land there isn't much need for boat builders that I am aware of.
    I really like your posts and the finished product.

Jim

The cheek blocks and some of the other hardware is salvaged from old boats.

Very Nice work. Must be fun to combine metal & wood working like that. Would love to see a pic of the whole boat.

Moving to Boat Building Forum...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan