Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipping the white diamond - what instead?

Skipping the white diamond - what instead?

I'm getting ready to use my Beall system for the first time today. The piece is walnut so I'm planning on skipping the white diamond per suggestions here. Question: If I skip the white diamond, what is the recommended step between the Tripoli and the Carnuba? Do I need to clean the wood with a soft cloth between compounds or just go right to the wax?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have not read anything on skipping the white diamond for walnut... care to share the reason why, or pointing out the thread that mentions it?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan, I have had instances where the white diamond leaves a white residue in the walnut pores. You can't get it out with the next wax. It leaves a white haze. The only way I could get rid of it was sand. I usually buff well with the Tripoli and go straight to the Carnuba.
    I turn, therefore I am

You might try burnishing with shavings.

I agree with Dick's comment about the residue.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I have not read anything on skipping the white diamond for walnut... care to share the reason why, or pointing out the thread that mentions it?

Apparently the white diamond fills the pores of more porous/opened grained woods like walnut and shows on the final piece.

Below are just a few of the threads mentioning it and I believe Bill Grumbine touches on it in his bowl turning video. From what I've read you can avoid it if you use a sealer first but I don't have any =(.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Diamond-Dust&

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...aul-Or-Buffer&

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...uffing-system&

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Pecan-NE-Bowl&

Dan, The reason for skipping the white diamond is that it can fill in any pores or open grain and leave the white residue. If the finish is applied over a grain filler you may get away without any issues. I have found that if you have sanded the black walnut and have gotten all the large sanding lines out down to 320 or 400 and maybe even did a wet sand with 600 grit the oil finsh will buff out nicely with just tripoli. There are finer grits of polishing compounds that are green and blue that may not show up as much, and if you are wax buffing that may get rid of any light patches. But better to safe than sorry I guess.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Aaron,
    The Tripoli will actually shine the piece up very well, if it's been sanded out properly.

Be prepared for your buffs to throw lint at you for a good while.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Vince Welch has some polishing buffs that might work for you depending on the sheen you are after. You can use them without compound and they produce a nice, buffed finish. Here is the link - http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/Sc...and%20Pads.htm

Blog Entries
    Good to know... my Beall system just came in yesterday.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan

I forgot what instructions came with the Beall but be forewarned those buffs can grab the work right out of your hand and throw it in who knows what direction. Tread lightly.

I love mine but they take a little getting used to.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I do agree with the rest. White diamond will leave a white residue in the pores of most open grain woods. It is hard to remedy after it is done. I also don't use the carnuba was anymore as it leaves finger prints on the piece when handled and if it gets water on it then you have spots. Use strictly Ren Wax.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Dan

I forgot what instructions came with the Beall but be forewarned those buffs can grab the work right out of your hand and throw it in who knows what direction.
    Actually, the direction is fairly constant. It's always down and away, then under the dust collector.

I skip the W.D. fairly often since we have a lot of those open grained woods here. I have a cheapo buff that I use to get the Trip off the bowl before using teh Beal wax buff. Don't know if that helps, but since the Beal wax buff is much better than the cheapo buff, I figure it can't hurt to skip contaminating the buff.

Just curious....
    If you're buffing aren't you going for a really shiny finish?

If so, wouldn't the point of it be to get enough finish on to leave no pores open so you can buff to a glass like finish?

I'm not criticizing, just wondering "out loud"....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Be prepared for your buffs to throw lint at you for a good while.
    Mike touchs on something you will all deal with in your new buffs...I had a heck of a time "seasoning" mine....what was suggested to me here...I think it was either Roger or Curt but I dont remember...sorry guys, they suggested useing like 80 grit sandpaper on the buffs when new, and even once you have had them for a while use this same metheod to clean them from time to time. I got a piece of "1 1/2x"1 1/2 x"12 and stabled 80 grit around one end and use this to clean and season my wheels now, really helps to keep all of the fuzz down, and to keep them clean.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome