Thread: Our club meeting today - Thanks, Vince Welch!!!

Our club meeting today - Thanks, Vince Welch!!!

Our turning club, Bluegrass Area Woodturners, normally does not have meetings in the summer months. But, this year, we decided to meet in June, July and August at the shops of some of our members. Today was my day to have the meeting.

We had a great turnout, great weather (hot, but no rain), and enough food to feed a small army! Several spouses showed up, and they and Ms. Keeton had a great time sharing stories - in the air conditioning!!

I invited Vince Welch, VincesWoodnWonders, to come and present a talk on sanding. Vince gave a great presentation on the various qualities of sandpaper, what to look for, and what to avoid. He provided a wealth of information, and brought a bunch of goodies for the guys to buy, too! Thanks, Vince!! I know it was a long drive for you, but I certainly appreciate you attending and helping with one of the worst parts of turning! I know the guys appreciate your efforts.

This view is looking in the sliding doors of the shop annex, also known as the wood storage/hunting/Christmas decoration/etc. area! My shop is on through the door in the center of the pic - that is Vince to the right, bent over the table. I apologize for the dark pic.

1.jpg

Another shot of Vince showing some items to creeker, Rex Guinn.

2.jpg

Then, we gathered in the "shop proper" and Vince gave his presentation. I failed to get a pic to the right - there were several folks not shown. That is creeker, J D Combs in the middle pic pointing (not sure of the target??)

3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg

Fellow creeker, club member, professional photographer and expert turner, Jamie Donaldson brought a bunch of wood to give away, and a special box for me!!!!!
    5.jpg

Some great stuff in the box - a beautiful piece of Koa, some oak burl, a big chunk of walnut, and the two large pieces are ash and silver maple. I am looking forward to cutting into some of this stuff! Thanks, Jamie!!

I did notice a bit of dust on the floor in one of the pics - that stuff never shows up until you post the pics!!! I will try to have the shop cleaner next time!

Nice. Looks like a great meeting. You guys in KY know how to live!

Did you say you met in your shop or the operating room of the local hospital? You could assemble circuit boards in a place that clean! Hope you can share any secrets Vince disclosed about shortening the time spent sanding. I love his products, but I still hate the time spent using them! By the way, didn't you give the gentleman a coaster before he put his cup on your workbench?

John, looks like a good time had by all, good topic for meeting and great place for a meeting, thanks for sharing with us

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

Then, we gathered in the "shop proper" and Vince gave his presentation. I failed to get a pic to the right - there were several folks not shown. That is creeker, J D Combs in the middle pic pointing (not sure of the target??)

4.jpg

I did notice a bit of dust on the floor in one of the pics - that stuff never shows up until you post the pics!!! I will try to have the shop cleaner next time!
    John, I was pointing out to the fellow next to me how shinny the duct work was. Almost as if it had been polished.

"The best things in life are not things."

Just sick for someone to have a shop that clean.

Yeah John, you could at least have cleaned up a little before the meeting. Nice to have quality folks involved with the meetings. Bet it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    ...By the way, didn't you give the gentleman a coaster before he put his cup on your workbench?
    LOL! Looks like a good turnout... especially for a talk on sanding! Like a lot of others on here, I wish I lived closer.

John, in the middle pic, I think I see a drop or two under your workbench. Why don't you go ahead and submit that picture for the 1st Annual Messy Shop Contest that is on the OT forum. You might be in the running.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Looks like a great time was had by all. I recognize that shop. Looking good John.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks like a fun and informative time! Would loved to have been able to listen in!

Looks like a great time was had....I wish I had a shop the size of yours...mine would be at least a little dusty though. Did they have to wipe their feet before coming inside?!?! I love the hat with the feather in it that guy is wearing.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thank you John,
    It was a great time and the food was delicious. Guys that shop was so clean I actually seen a guy walk right into hanging duct. He did not see it because it was so clean...lol. Thank you BAW. Lets do it again next summer... Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

Another one of those times I wished I lived closer! Sure looks like it was fun!

Surprisingly - no one looks overheated and the temps had to be in the 90s! You guys must be getting used to the heat!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!