Thread: Therming and off center turning generally

Question Therming and off center turning generally

Can anyone point me to some good advice on off-center turning and, in particular, good ideas for the jigs required for off-centre face plate and between center turning? BTW, I only found out yesterday that therming means off center turning between centres.

Don't know if this is gonna be much help but Art Liestman wrote an article in American Woodworker a couple issues back on therming. Might be of interest.

I think therming is the term applied to multi or off axis turning where the axis of rotation lies completely outside of the piece being turned. This means that a carrier or jig is needed to mount the work. As mentioned above Art Liestman's article in the April 2010 American Woodturner is a great resource for therming.

An excellent book is Multi-Centre Woodturning by Ray Hopper. For instant gratification there is Barbara Dill's excellent website - http://www.barbaradill.com - where you'll find everything you need to know in her two part paper: http://www.barbaradill.com/Multi%20Axis%20Concepts%20part1.pdf and http://www.barbaradill.com/Multi%20A....pub052010.pdf
    Last edited by Frank Van Atta; 07-29-2011 at 7:37 PM.
    Within 13K miles of everybody.

Nick Agar has a week long class at Arrowmont this fall.

If you can find the latest (or possibly the last) issue of Woodturner mag (the one from the UK), there was a big article on between center multi axis turning. It was an interesting read.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

John: I've added 5 pictures (at least I've tried to add 5 pictures) that show some therming I did after I attended an Art Liestman demo. I'm not sure if these will help or not.

Steve

IMG_2566.JPGIMG_2544.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2547.JPG

Thank you Frank,
    I have been a bit obsessed for the past 5 years. BTW, I will be teaching a class at The Appalachian Center for Craft near Smithville, TN May 2012 and at Arrowmont October, 2012. After teaching the conceptual model, folks will have hands on with any project they can dream of. What I do is teach the variables and outcomes of MA turning. Then the forms become limitless.
    Barbara

Beautiful piece Steve... Now you got me interested again... Does Art have a video on this?

Thanks everyone!

Now I have some places to start.
    Thanks for your help.
    John

Off-Center and Off Axis

I have done quite a bit of off-center and off axis. I have turned pieces up to 114" off center and 90 degrees off-axis. Attached are a couple of photos.

The "Siamese Bowls" turning shown on the left is turned out of a single piece of Polplar and are 8" diameter each with only a 1-1/2" overlap. The Redwood burl to the right was mounted about 8" off center and I used a 6 lb lead to counter the weight.

Be careful!!! Think it through then add 2X precaution! You can kill yourself doing this!

Don Geiger

Siamese bowls Black and White side view.jpgOff Center Mounting.jpg

Don

I am vastly impressed and note your warnings. I'll certainly be working on smaller pieces for a long while to build up my confidence.
    Did you just start from scratch and invent it all yourself, or can you suggest any references that helped you when you were getting started?

John

I started from scratch. Started small and worked my way up. I did a piece a while back that I mounted and turned it in 72 positions. I stress the word "turned". Another approach is to mount the piece in different postions on the lathe and move it by hand past a stationary router bit or other cutting devices.

If you look around, you'll find other folks doing stuff that makes mine look like child's play.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by John Shillabeer View Post
    I am vastly impressed and note your warnings. I'll certainly be working on smaller pieces for a long while to build up my confidence.
    Did you just start from scratch and invent it all yourself, or can you suggest any references that helped you when you were getting started?

John

Barbara, your candlesticks were elagant in fisherville
    Attached Images Attached Images