Thread: Cottonwood User

Cottonwood User

This is cottonwood or a very large poplar that started out near inboard capacity of my pm3520. By the time I roughed a shape I liked, dried and re-turned it ended up a little over 10 inches in diameter x 5 1/4 high with a wall thickness of 3/8. It had a nice square bead just a bit below the rim, but I took the last pass to clean it up just a bit more and that is now gone. Oh well, I still like the shape. This has 3-4 coats of WOP, which I may cut back with some steel wool to get rid of the bit of shine it has. Comments and critiques appreciated. Thanks for looking.

cottonwood bowl 2.jpg cottonwood bowl 1.jpg

Came out nice, I am thinking popcorn!

Jon, it may be smaller than intended, but a very nice bowl nonetheless! It does look like poplar, but I have not turned cottonwood - you may be right. I agree with Mark - perfect popcorn size!

Nice form and execution. While I generally embrace my inner magpie, I agree that taking the shine down a bit might be better. I think on a utility bowl like this, general use will take down the shine non-uniformly so if you cut it back now, you won't end up with a blotchy shine.

very nice, thanks for sharing

Looks good to me! If it started near capacity and ended up at 10", you certainly made a mountain of curlies in the process!

Jon - very nice. The form is very attractive. I like the way the top closes a bit as well as the slightly canted lip. It looks like it would be good for many uses. 9-10", is a good size, that fits in a lot of home spaces for display or use. BTW, I think that it is too pretty to use!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Jon, you nailed the profile! It's the shape I always strive for in a bowl. And I like the foot on this one as well. Nice work!

Really nice looking bowl. Nice form. Looks like it would make a great ice cream or popcorn dish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks like it will hold a serving or two! Nice bowl!

Very nice looking bowl!
    Billy

very nice useful bowl. I agree it would make a great popcorn/treat bowl. I think the foot not necessary as one would hold this bowl in one's lap, but that is personal preference. The shape is delightful.