Thread: A sign to last a year, help.

A sign to last a year, help.

A local high school band heard I was making signs and asked if I could make their sign.
    This is by WOM, I haven't talked to anyone yet. But it was said to me that they want
    a sign that for so many dollars a business contributed they get a larger letter size.
    They say they want something better than a banner, but will change every year.
    They also mentioned using aluminum, but not necessary.

You see what I have at the bottom to make a sign. What have you guys used or made
    for conditions like this.

Thanks!
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

I'd suggest vinyl lettering on corrugated plastic, but then you don't have a plotter. Possibly instead of vinyl lettering use something you can cut on the laser and glue on, such as polystyrene, painted. Pretty much anything but paper will last a year, aluminum is way too much for this application. Perhaps 3mm pvc letters cut on the shopbot mounted on 6mm pvc.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Anthony, a couple of things to consider, Not knowing the size of the proposed sign, The cost factor may dictate the choice of substrate. If you choose a PVC/Sintra material, keep in mind the mounting method, If it is screwed directly to the wall, you will need to drill your mounting holes oversize to allow for expansion in the Sintra material or it will buckle for sure. Your best bet may be to use MDO, painted and vinyl letters as Joe suggested.

I'd probably have someone print these onto a substrate on a flatbed printer. There are wholesalers out there for that type of stuff and it holds up outside well enough for your time frame. It would be cheap to do as well. You can get 24" x 18" single sided, full color for about $6 each, wholesale. I can't do cut vinyl for $6.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.