Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kickback Hurts! (WARNING! GORY PICTURES!!)

I hope you heal soon.

Was there no way to use the riving knife? Before my SS I was not using a guard and got hit in the gut from kickback - in 2005. For six months I wore the 3/4"X3/4" Big L as well and it cut me through my shirt and did not cut thw shirt - literally pressed it into me! Next day my delta QA splitter was installed. Now on the SS a guard is always used (mostly the RK) whenever possible. I am also a fan of the bandsaw.

I did a quick check on scar prevention. Lots of good reading out there.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Wow. Just wow.

I'll repeat a suggestion. Band saw.

Peter, I'm glad you're ok and wish you a speedy recovery. Please do listen to the little voice in your head. Also glad to see you have a sense of humor about this. And to follow up on that...

Have you thought of changing your name to Larry to explain the scar?

Stay out of the shop awhile so you don't get sawdust in your stitches. Be patient with your parents when they get on you about this. It's because they love you.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I hope you heal soon.Was there no way to use the riving knife? Before my SS I was not using a guard and got hit in the gut from kickback - in 2005. For six months I wore the 3/4"X3/4" Big L as well and it cut me through my shirt and did not cut thw shirt - literally pressed it into me! Next day my delta QA splitter was installed. Now on the SS a guard is always used (mostly the RK) whenever possible. I am also a fan of the bandsaw. I did a quick check on scar prevention. Lots of good reading out there.
    I had the riving knife on the saw. Problem was the work piece was so short that it didn't reach the riving knife before it kicked back. I'll never cut a piece that small on the table saw again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Wow. Just wow.I'll repeat a suggestion. Band saw. Peter, I'm glad you're ok and wish you a speedy recovery. Please do listen to the little voice in your head. Also glad to see you have a sense of humor about this. And to follow up on that...Have you thought of changing your name to Larry to explain the scar? Stay out of the shop awhile so you don't get sawdust in your stitches. Be patient with your parents when they get on you about this. It's because they love you.
    Bandsaw for sure. My parents aren't on my case because I'm on my own case... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    This thread should be sticky in the FAQ section.After my "basic training" in machine tool techniques, I scratched the tablesaw off my requirements list.We were taught:Wear ear and eye protection at the table saw.Never cut anything shorter than 12".Never rip anything so narrow as it requires push-stick thinner than the blade.Stand to the side of the side of the clearance plate (the launch zone of the aircraft hanger).Never place hands on the clearance plate.The physics of a table saw are immutable.I'm genuinely horrified at this accident.I hope for your speedy recovery.
    ...quoting for emphasis... These are excellent rules... Worth printing out and hanging in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Have you thought of changing your name to Larry to explain the scar?

Hey now! Don't be picking on the Larrys!

You can mount a mirror on the wall across from the saw and you will always have a reminder........

I have a lump on my stomach where a small piece of cedar hit me about 25 years ago. I was making an octagon about a foot long. learned not to do that. I figured it out and most blades are about 110mph at the teeth. Usually they get full traction before they leave the blade so you are getting hit at 110. Looks like that one got some spin on her as well.

My worst safety nightmare is people scaring me. I have cut the same finger off twice when being startled. I'm a jumpy sort of guy to begin with, so if someone comes up behind me I jump, into a saw apparently.

Good looking skull you have there......

Larry

I'm glad yr ok. Every time I see a post like this, I feel a shudder and hear that tiny voice saying "you're next".
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-01-2011 at 8:59 AM.

7. Glad you're okay.

You have absolutely convinced me to use my bandsaw for small pieces.

Hope that heals up quickly.

Ouch! I sometimes think that I'm a little over the top about safety, but incidents like this are a reminder that there is no such thing as being too cautious when dealing with power tools. I have a shredded push stick that I kept as a reminder of just how much damage can be done (and how quickly it can happen) when dealing with a table saw. Not only did the saw blade blow apart the end of the stick, but it also launched it out of my hand and ten feet back into the wall (fortunately I was standing to the side of the blade and was out of the line of fire). When I upgraded to a 52" fence on my TS, I made it a point to re-mount the power switch as far to the left as I could as a constant reminder to stay safely out of the way of flying pieces (I keep my hip next to the paddle and always bump the power off as soon as the workpiece clears the rear of the blade).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Hey now! Don't be picking on the Larrys!
    My worst safety nightmare is people scaring me. I have cut the same finger off twice when being startled. I'm a jumpy sort of guy to begin with, so if someone comes up behind me I jump, into a saw apparently.
    Larry
    WHAT?!? Did I read that correctly? You've cut the same finger off twice?? Man, I feel like a huge wuss now. lol

Yeah, I get really angry at people when they walk into the shop while a machine is running. I keep meaning to put signs outside of the doors saying to wait until all machinery is off before knocking or coming in. It amazes me how people expect you to look up at them and wave while you're in the middle of a cut.

The swelling is starting to get pretty intense. THe doctor told me not to ice it because it could impede the healing process, or even further damage the fragile tissue. So he'd rather have it swell up. I'm expecting to have black and blue eyes tomorrow as the blood drains down my face. I'm going to really disgust people at the office tomorrow! ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I could be wrong and if I am correct me.

The guard I use has spring loaded pawls on it that most likely would have prevented this.

Does the guard on the SS have those too......and a splitter?

Pardon my ignorance.
    Maybe I missed it but I didn't see that anyone ever answered your question. The SS blade guard has pawls on it. The blade guard is mounted to a splitter. For non-through cuts, or when you can't use a guard (like slicing thin sticks), the whole assembly pops out and can be replaced with just a riving knife.

I'm honestly not sure how much help the pawls would be for a kickback like this. I made a very rough calculation once (if you search you may be able to find it here) and estimated that a kickback generates something like 400lbs of force. The pawls work well to keep the work from creeping back just due to friction but I wonder if they wouldn't just get bent or broken from a real kickback. I've asked around and no one I know has ever seen a kickback with the splitter in place (which is what the pawls are attached to) but I'd love to know if someone has ever had a kickback that the pawls where able to hold and contain. With the splitter in place, though, the kickback will be limited so you'll never generate the same kind of force you could with a bare blade.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 08-01-2011 at 9:21 AM.

Its always fun to make up stories........

Skydiving accident, chute didn't open......

Ran ito Zoro......

Labotomy, had too many brains......

Meteor.........

Swordfishing accident......

Have fun with it, I would......

Larry

Was the project OK?

Peter,
    I'm glad you're able to type, think, and be alive. Personally, I've been knocked back into a wall by kickback, driven to the ER for a bandsaw, and knocked silly by my own tool handle while hollowing a bowl and getting a nasty catch. I have some "modern art" blood spatter on my pretty white wall from years ago, which I use as a reminder to myself. We've all been there. Even when we are being smart and exercising our due diligence, accidents happen.
    When I had some skin torn off my face (I was a bike messenger in NYC back when I was invincible), a VietNam vet friend of mine told me he had used Palmer's cocoa butter cream (not lotion - the thick cream) when he was hit in the face with shrapnel, and it saved him from the uglies (he still wore a mustache for where the cuts were too deep). I tried it, and it saved me from being the scary guy in the supermarket I hope your cut heals well. Let us know, and don't be too hard on yourself - now you are a more careful woodworker than you were last week!

Jeremy

Wow good to know you're ok!

Wow...so glad you are ok enough to post this. I tend to get braver and careless with experience, so this puts me back down to earth.