Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kickback Hurts! (WARNING! GORY PICTURES!!)

There's really only one explanation needed...you went to go see the newest Harry Potter movie, and got REALLY into the story. (Note, this works better if you make a wand to take to work with you)

Glad to hear you're okay, but it is a sobering reminder for those of us who don't always use all the included safety devices on any of our tools (Not just the table saw.)

Quote Originally Posted by ken gibbs View Post
    Was the project OK?
    Yeah, the project was unaffected. The piece I was working on was a sanding block for some cove molding I made. So I wasn't cutting any pieces for the project directly.

I eventually found the block of wood. I figured that it would've been behind where I was standing. I looked and looked and couldn't find it (my shop could be tidier I guess). I eventually found it on the other end of the shop. Meaning, it flew back the way it came. My head absorbed 100% of the impact. Pretty surprising that I didn't break my skull or even have a concussion.

That is the craziest kickback injury i've ever seen, and a seriously gory photograph.

I think he is lucky to be alive for that piece could have hit him in the nose, eye, neck, etc and caused some serious trama.

If I was to get hit anywhere in the head it would be that spot for it has the thickest part of the skull.

Thanks for the epic share for i'm sure i'm going to share this story with others so that we all appreciate tablesaw safety.

OK I finally figured out what you were thinking. HARRY POTTER! You know with that Z on his forehead? You just had to have an "L". So ok where is your wand?
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Morgan View Post
    OK I finally figured out what you were thinking. HARRY POTTER! You know with that Z on his forehead? You just had to have an "L". So ok where is your wand?
    I did see the Harry Potter movie the night before... I think you're on to something there!

I'm glad your OK! Thank you for your thoughtful reminder.

I had a kick back with my table saw. I never saw the kick back, but I heard it hit the wall in back of me. I decided right then that I could not trust myself to follow the rules 100 % of the time. Rarely did I use it again. I ended up giving it to someone. I now use a jigsaw to cut my wood, much ,much more safer in my case. I cut , then sand to perfection using my jigsaw.
    I am glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing your mishap.

Peter,

I have an almost identical scar on my forehead but mine reads correctly when looking in the mirror so to most people I look like even a bigger looser not being able to write correctly while disfiguring my face. My accident was from stupidly using a chain saw instead of a table saw and fortunately I was wearing safety glasses which were cut in half at the nose bridge. I was cutting firewood with a friend at the time and after the painful whack to the forehead with the tip of the saw I immediately applied pressure and walked over to where my friend was, who was unaware of my problem until then. I tapped him on the shoulder and when he looked up I removed my hand from my forehead and asked him "How bad is it?", upon which he immediately fainted. I was able to revive him and he drove me to the ER.

True story, Bret

ps It's a faint scar, the doc did a good job.

L is for "lucky that wasn't any worse". Wow, that's gory!

Peter - I can identify. While I have been using tablesaws for 55 years, in January, I was stupidly notching a small (2"x4") piece out of a large piece 8/4 cherry. I had already made one cut where the squareness was really important and I was cutting off the waste piece using the fence as a guide. I successfully made the cut, and the waste piece was neatly parked between the fence and the back edge of the spinning blade. Instead of shutting down the saw, and waiting to push out the cut piece, I tried to push it out with a stick. It twisted a bit, walked up the blade and came back like a rifle shot. It hit me in the lower lip. I received 12 internal and 6 external stitches and really clobbered four lower front teeth. Fortunately, the teeth are still there. The piece of cherry has teeth imprints in the end grain that match an impression of my right canine tooth and the two lower front teeth to the left. The impression of the canine tooth into the cherry measures 1/8" deep!! I now use the piece of cherry as a pull knob on a light directly over the saw. I could have taught a saw safety course the day before and covered this topic nicely. In a hurry, distracted - maybe. Not thinking, certainly. What I try to do now is make every cut as if I were watching one of my children do it! In retrospect, I should have made the first cut on the tablesaw, and the second on my bandsaw - which is 3 ft. away!! Could the kick back pawls have prevented this? Sure, they would have stopped me from even trying. Probably a lesson in that!!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Peter,

Best wishes for your wound and your pride to recover. Unfortunately, too many of us, including me, have done things that resulted in pain. My right hand is suffering from a hit it took last week, as a result of trying to drill an unsecured piece of metal. I find it hard to complain when I am a victim of my own stupidity. I still try to remember to say a prayer for protection when I am starting in my shop, and a prayer of thanks when I make it through safely (or just a little banged - up). Thank you for the reminder.

Angie

I understand your warning to viewers about the "Gore" aspect of your wound. I do think it was prudent to show the injury and applaud you for doing so. I've seen pics of bruises, small lacerations etc but never a pic like yours. It's been years & years since I had one of these (never on the head mind you) and it is easy to have time minimize the potential for risk. Your pics have once again slapped me out of complacency when operating my table saws. For that I send you a heartfelt "thanks". You sharing might have just reinforced the safety procedures I needed to refresh myself on. Terribly sorry that you had to have the accident but be assured, I for one will once again, tune up my "on guard" attitude when working on my saw! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Driemel View Post
    I understand your warning to viewers about the "Gore" aspect of your wound. I do think it was prudent to show the injury and applaud you for doing so. I've seen pics of bruises, small lacerations etc but never a pic like yours. It's been years & years since I had one of these (never on the head mind you) and it is easy to have time minimize the potential for risk. Your pics have once again slapped me Glad out of complacency when operating my table saws. For that I send you a heartfelt "thanks". You sharing might have just reinforced the safety procedures I needed to refresh myself on. Terribly sorry that you had to have the accident but be assured, I for one will once again, tune up my "on guard" attitude when working on my saw! Thanks again.
    You're welcome! The reason I posted this is to make sure I'm not the only person who learns from my mistake!

Peter; I do hope that the recovery goes well. I also need reminders of how dangerous shop equipment can be, but I hate to see it came at your expense.

Peter,
    Thanks for educating the community at the expense of your pride. 'L' is for Lucky.

Everybody else,
    Before you say to yourself 'that was stupid' think to yourself 'when was the last time I was uncomfortable with a cut and did it anyway' Peter is no different, just got called on it.

-Brian