Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Leigh Jig Advertised

New Leigh Jig Advertised

Leigh is now advertising a new, smaller dovetail system called the D1600. It's a 16" wide unit with adjustable fingers for both through, half-blind and sliding dovetails with a list price of $299. For those of you who read Fine Woodworking, the ad is on page 19 of the new April 2005 issue, but more details are at the above link.

It looks like an interesting alternative for folks who want a Leigh jig, but are uncomfortable with the cost for the D4. Like Akeda, they offer an accessory kit that adds some dust collection capability as well as additional cutters to the 3 that are included with the jig. The one thing I can't tell from the photos is relative to the fingers...they appear to be one-piece, rather than split like they are on the D4. But they are not done adding information to the site. It will be instructive to see this new jig demonstrated an one of the shows!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

what do you creekers think about jig's in general? I do have one, but it seems to take more time to use it than simply cutting them by hand. But I was also interested in the FWW article that seemed to show a less invloved process. If I was building a kitchen then I would use a jig, but for one-off furniture it seems like to much trouble, but I would love to hear what others think.

lou

I saw that as well and look forward to seeing one in person! I was interested in a D4 but the new jig may be a better fit for me.

Lou, I have and use my Leigh D4 because I like what it can do. I'm not one of those folks that find cutting by hand to be faster, particularly because I don't have the time, at least to-date, to do enough practice to become comfortable. I'll likely change that over time, but until then, the jig is an essential part of my woodworking setup. That said, I did cut some by hand for my armoire project and it was an "educational experience". Thankfully...they are behind a crown molding at the top of the carcass, adding great strength without being detrimental to the "look" of the piece...
    --

I dont want to hijack this thread, but has anyone tried the Akeida? Is the set up time less than the Leigh jig? I am just curious.

Brian

I saw a similar ad in Popular Woodworking.

Lou, I don't have a Leigh, but I bought a Keller just after Christmas. I like it because it is easy to set up and use. I'm no good yet at cutting dovetails by hand. One thing I like about the Keller is that I can use it on my router table. It seems more stable that way, at least for relatively narrow boards.

I already have a D4 but it would be great to get more people into EADTJ (Electrically Assisted Dovetail Joinery)
    Last edited by Michael Ballent; 02-18-2005 at 5:29 PM.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Brian -

I own a Leigh D4 and have not used an Akeda. I was looking at the Akeda the other day at the local tool pusher and liked what I saw. Would place it ahead of the Leigh on initial impression for ease of use and flexibility.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Leigh is now advertising a new, smaller dovetail system called the D1600. It's a 16" wide unit with adjustable fingers for both through, half-blind and sliding dovetails with a list price of $299. For those of you who read Fine Woodworking, the ad is on page 19 of the new April 2005 issue, but more details are at the above link.

It looks like an interesting alternative for folks who want a Leigh jig, but are uncomfortable with the cost for the D4. Like Akeda, they offer an accessory kit that adds some dust collection capability as well as additional cutters to the 3 that are included with the jig. The one thing I can't tell from the photos is relative to the fingers...they appear to be one-piece, rather than split like they are on the D4. But they are not done adding information to the site. It will be instructive to see this new jig demonstrated an one of the shows!

Jim,

The one you may want to see a demo on is the Akeda. I seen a demo and If I didn't already own a D4 it may be the Akeda that I would buy. It may be anyway if I sell my Leigh. It is simple, ingenious, intuitive,totally self contained and seems to do anything the Leigh can do almost without the manual after a brief introduction. I think it is the only reason Leigh is introducing a 16" version, to compete with Akeda. Except technically they are light years behind Akeda as near as I can tell. The dust collection on the Akeda is totally within the jig and almost 100%, hardly anything escapes plus you don't connect the vac. to your router. The vac. is connected to the jig. I also understand that Akeda will enter the market with a 24 incher later this year.

Gene

Gene, I've seen the Akeda demonstrated a few times and it's a nice product. My one dislike is the 1/8" increment in adjustment for pin/tail sizing--the D4 has no minimum increment and I like that.

I don't necessarily agree that Akeda is way ahead of Leigh. They are both very good products that do what they are supposed to do. One is somewhat easier to set up the first time in appearance (Akeda), but the Leigh is ultimately more flexible, both in creative uses and size. I've also seen "first time" work from new D4 users that was pretty incredible; a guy named Jay at WOOD Online did double dovetails with almost no setup the same day he bought the jig. Both actually cost about the same when you add the very useful accessory kit to the Akeda--the accessory kit provides the dust collection capablity. (comparing to the D4, not the D1600 which also offers a dust collection offering), although I only paid $329 for my D4 when I bought it) The bottom line is that I would not sell my D4 to buy an Akeda, but if I didn't have either it would be a close battle to choose one or the other. Knowing "me", I'd probably still choose the D4...just because. What better reason is there??
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-18-2005 at 6:21 PM.
    --

Gene, I've seen the Akeda demonstrated a few times and it's a nice product. My one dislike is the 1/8" increment in adjustment for pin/tail sizing--the D4 has no minimum increment and I like that.

I don't necessarily agree that Akeda is way ahead of Leigh. They are both very good products that do what they are supposed to do. One is somewhat easier to set up the first time in appearance (Akeda), but the Leigh is ultimately more flexible, both in creative uses and size. I've also seen "first time" work from new D4 users that was pretty incredible; a guy named Jay at WOOD Online did double dovetails with almost no setup the same day he bought the jig. Both actually cost about the same when you add the very useful accessory kit to the Akeda--the accessory kit provides the dust collection capablity. (comparing to the D4, not the D1600 which also offers a dust collection offering), although I only paid $329 for my D4 when I bought it) The bottom line is that I would not sell my D4 to buy an Akeda, but if I didn't have either it would be a close battle to choose one or the other. Knowing "me", I'd probably still choose the D4...just because. What better reason is there??

Jim,

I know what your saying on the 1/8” limitation on the Akeda but it can work out to your advantage as well. This same almost digital limitation makes it a cakewalk to do say assymetrical dovetails on the Akeda on the other end of the jig, something that is somewhat of a nightmare to do on the Leigh. The boards can be of any width providing you use both ends of the jig, the pins and tails can be wherever you place them within 1/8. The 1/8 width rule doesn’t apply when using both ends except in laying out the sockets. I like the idea too that the minimum length of the workpiece can be 3 1/8”, nice for doing small boxes etc. which I like to do from time to time. You can also routinely work with 1/4” material something that again requires a extra work on the D4.
    Another nice feature is that the router can rest and travel smoothly on top of the jig instead of balancing it on the fingers. Any router will work because the dust collection is in the jig. Also HBDT’s and TD’s done with the same bit. HBDT’s on a rabbeted door front, easy! It really has a lot of appealing features and as you can probably tell has got my full attention.

Gene

Gene...what about using different angle bits? No question, the Akeda is a very capable machine.

Gene...what about using different angle bits? No question, the Akeda is a very capable machine.
    Jim,

That's another good one.......

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    what do you creekers think about jig's in general? I do have one, but it seems to take more time to use it than simply cutting them by hand. But I was also interested in the FWW article that seemed to show a less invloved process. If I was building a kitchen then I would use a jig, but for one-off furniture it seems like to much trouble, but I would love to hear what others think.

lou
    WOW! If you can cut dovetails with a hand saw and chisel as fast as I can with a router and Leigh jig, I'd love you visit your shop. I have cut hundreds of dovetails in an afternoon. Maybe you just mean you are slow at setting the jig up! I don't thing the first time setup was all that bad for me. But then, I did read the manual a couple times before ever chucking a router bit.

I have never tried cutting dovetails by hand, so I don't really know anything about time, but I'd think one dovetail would take longer then several dozen with a router. But what do I know?

I like the Leigh because the dovetails can look just like hand cut if that is what you are after.

I have the motise and tenon atatchment and use it a lot as well, I would not want to work without the Leigh after so long of doing it the easy way.

I have the small Porter Cable, older model, and have used it to make drawers as small as 3" high and as large as 10" high. Like it alot. But I do want to learn/teach myself to hand cut dovetails. I think through dove tails say alot your enjoyment of making something you want to show everybody that will take the time to look.
    Jim