Thread: Grizzly, Cyclones Performance Curves

Grizzly, Cyclones Performance Curves

Just got off the Grizzly website viewing the performance curves for their cyclones. They look pretty good for the price, what say you all?

John

This horse is pretty battered and bruised
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16542

My only fear is that it isn't dead yet

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Jay,

I felt the same way, but with the performance curves and very few direct references to Onieda in the new information, maybe we can have a discussion on the merits of the products. Brand loyalty can take a back seat.

John

John,

They look awfully good to me. The blower curves pretty much mirror the Oneida even though the Griz numbers for the Oneida are less that Oneida's own numbers but there are lot of variables to this testing deal. I see from the photo and descriptions of Grizzly's tests that they used a long length of flex type hose for the test pipe. I don't see any way that that is not going to have a good amount of resistance itself and could account somewhat for the lower numbers. I'd be interested in seeing the two machines compared with Dwyer's methods and equipment.

One thing that this does say to me is that the impeller is really the deciding factor in performance of these machines. The 2 cyclone designs are quite different but the numbers are very similar. I'm sure some of the features of the cyclones do make some difference but I thought it was quite interesting how close the comparison numbers are.

Time will tell like I said before in the other thread but it sure looks to me like Grizzly has done quite a good job on these cyclones. Incorporating things like the remote and the certified cartridges with the internal cleaning brush has got to be a plus. Nice to see them make them shorter too. All but the 5 hp. can be configured to fit under an 8" ceiling by using the short drum.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Terry,

I think you're right about the impeller size. It's been a while since I read the Pentz site, but I think I remember him saying that was a critical factor also.

John

I can't wait for some users to get some of these and get some feedback on them. I would like to go to a cyclone in the next year or so and look forward to real world feedback. According to Grizzly, they should be pretty good. Hopefully someone will do some independant testing.

Until there is independent testing, I would be "impressed" but not convinced...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A couple guys who live by me are in the planning stages of new shops. I'll try and convince them to buy one and bring it into Canada. Then I'll bring out my testing gear again and compare the results with my Bill Pentz cyclone.

Cheers,

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Jay,

I felt the same way, but with the performance curves and very few direct references to Onieda in the new information, maybe we can have a discussion on the merits of the products. Brand loyalty can take a back seat.

John
    Oops, you're right. I should've looked more carefully before responding.
    The Grizzly curves look good. I hope Grizzly is confident that independent testing will bear out the same results. Can you imagine the threads if they dont.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter