Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show us your tool cabinet.....

Show us your tool cabinet.....

I did a search and found a thread here and there about tool cabinets but thought i'd see if there was any interest in creating a single, more comprehensive thread. I'm planning on building a Studley inspired, wall hanging chest of sapele, ebony and brass that will borrow elements from the original design but always like seeing what others use to store there tools. It seems as though since I have gotten more interested in buying and restoring vintage tools as of late, I want somewhere to showcase the fruits of my hunting and restoration efforts.

Anyway, if anyone has the interest, feel free to post a pic of your storage cabinet.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Peter

I have 2 tool / supplies cabinets in my shop. They are based on a Wood Magazine plan I got a long time ago. The first one does not include the internal shelves all the way up so I had room for my small parts bins. These took the place of 2 4x8 sheets of peg board on the walls...

Sorry, the photos aren't actually of the current layout, but you get the idea I hope...

Trying to follow the example of the master...

Lookin good David!

Thanks. Since that pic was taken, the one on the right, and the lathe got pushed all the way over to the overhead door. I hated the arrangment you see here, too cramped. The right box has an inner double sided door as well. I mostly keep finishing supplies, and turning tools in that one as it is mounted right over the lathe...

I have more shop cab projects in the pipe, but time and $$ are bad right now. Real bad...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    022.jpg021.jpg
    This is mine ,the pegboard doors slide so the the storage is actually 2/3 larger than the surface is. Originally I had the doors on hinges but I found that as I put equipment in front of them that I couldn't swing the doors open. The sliding doors work much better for me. This was based on a plan from Plans Now.
    Dennis

Not fancy, but it is handy. It's an arms length from my ts. Behind the drawers is a "Golden Rod" dehumidifier rod, to fight moisture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got the idea from someone else and added the storage on top.
    There's also a shallow drawer for owner's manuals.

These pics are from a few years back in the old shop, but I still have the locker. Built it back when I had almost no tools and even less money. The OSB was salvage from a special order door crate. The rest of it is just tubafors and 3/4 ply from the BORG.
    Outside_Locker.jpg Inside_Locker.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I wanted someplace to keep my planes and chisels handy but out of the way; this was the result. It's mostly made from stuff I had on hand left over from other projects. Cabinet is teak plywood with some solid trim; interior is mostly hem/fir and other odds and ends. I recently overhauled the chisel storage and got a LOT more chisels in there. All of my vintage user chisels and gouges are now where I can get to them without having to mess around with tool rolls.

Resized tool cabinet (3).jpgResized tool cabinet (1).jpgResized tool cabinet (2).jpgResized tool cabinet.jpg

Great examples thus far. Thank you guys for sharing.

I'm not much of a power tool guy Will but that cabinet is seriously cool.

Keep them coming! I love seeing what works for you guys.

Peter

Mines not so loosely based on TWW' hand tool cabinet. Still room for a couple things including a set of premium chisels, Mr. Lee if your listening *nudge nudge wink wink*

DSCF0817.jpgDSCF0818.jpg

Here's mine. Like many, it's made mostly from scraps I had lying about. The case is just boring old pine. The inside bits are primarily walnut and some purpleheart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I built this cabinet last year. I've been hesitant to upload the pictures because of the inevitable comments about my hand plane collection. (Yes, I have a hand plane addiction and I am dealing with it . But, I have and do use every one of them!) The cabinet was made with birch plywood, curly maple and bubinga. I built the six drawer chest below the cabinet earlier this year to house measuring tools, spokeshaves, carving chisels and other small items.

-- Phil

IMG_2398A.jpgIMG_2399A.jpgIMG_2400A.jpgIMG_2401A.jpgIMG_2403A.jpgIMG_2404A.jpg

Phil,

Those are two very nice pieces - love the design and the wood choices. Don't worry about the planes. If you have to have a problem, that's the one to have!

Blog Entries
    Man, am I glad I followed my gut and didn't post my tool cabinets. Those are really nice pieces of furniture.