Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Show us your tool cabinet.....

Mr. Zimmel, as a Canadian I am shocked and dismayed that a fellow Canadian would be so insensitve as to post those pictures of his cabinets. Now, excuse me while I go and burn down my shop.

Sincerely, Mark.

2. Here is mine. I believe I used plans from Fine woodworking. It is just plywood and Pecan hardwood edging.
    DSCN0345.jpgDSCN0344.jpgDSCN0348.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/bj383ss/

Bret
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    I have no lack of storage for my hand tools...
    This is part of my shop that is dedicated to the neander world.

Attachment 203924

To me you can never have to much storage space....

Attachment 203921

Attachment 203922 Attachment 203923

Attachment 203925

This took a little while to complete but was really worth the effort...
    These cabinets were built just about to years ago and the cherry has darkened quite nicely.

OK...that is just plain wrong.

PLEASE don't let my wife ever see that!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Major View Post
    Mr. Zimmel, as a Canadian I am shocked and dismayed that a fellow Canadian would be so insensitve as to post those pictures of his cabinets. Now, excuse me while I go and burn down my shop.

Sincerely, Mark.
    hahahaha Ya, after I saw his cabinets a while back I lost all interest in attempting to make nice cabinets.

My tool cabinet is based on an article in FWW by Tage Frid. I used a lot of his suggestions, along with modifications to fit my own needs. It is built from red oak plywood and solid stock, with south american walnut trim. It is a modular design, each box is 32" X 32" X 20" deep (including 4" deep doors). It is on casters and can be easily moved.

Toolcab1.JPGToolcab5 .JPGToolcab6 .JPG

The doors open a full 180 degrees on piano hinges, and latch on recessed bullet catches. The bottom has cubbyholes for power tools. The top contains rows of trays to hold hand tools. Each tray consists of a solid oak and walnut frame (1/2" stock), with finger jointed corners. The drawer pulls are oak dowels. The bottom of each tray is 1/4" birch plywood, which slides in oak runners. The trays can be pulled out completely to carry to the workbench. The spacing between runners is 1 1/2", and the trays are nominal 1 1/4", 2 3/4" and 4 1/4" high. What I like about this approach is that the drawers can be moved around, or even replaced with different depths as the need arises.

Toolcab2.JPGToolcab3.JPGToolcab4.JPG

I failed to mention above, I have a project on the drawing board for a center cabinet / till between the two current cabs. This is to store certain of my hand tools. Specifically my planes. They are cheapies, but I have all Groz, in the major sizes. #4, #5, #6, #7, and a low angle block plane. (I have tuned the snot out of them, and am planning on upgrading the irons / chip breakers to Lee Valley units). I want to also add some spokeshaves, and scrapers, and I also want to provide a proper rack for my chisels and screwdrivers. I will likely not be using peg board for that, although I do have 2 sheets of peg board laying around that I need to do something with...

The right cab is immediately above where I like to have my lathe which is right by the overhead door (I can open the door in fairer weather, and enjoy the breeze while turning). I am thinking about making a rack that I can slip into the peg board for my turning tools as well. Would be nice to have them within easy reach...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Richard Bell: looks nice. Do you know what FWW issue Tage Frid's article was in?

Gary,
    My jaw dropped when I saw this! Looks more like a shrine than any shop I've ever seen. Must be a pleasure to work in. Truly awesome work.
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Ray:

The Tage Frid article was in FWW issue 11, Summer 1978, pp 80-81. It is not a how-to article, it is recommendations based on Mr. Frids' many years of experience. I hardly ever hear his name mentioned these days, but his books and articles provided a great deal of inspiration and instruction for me.

Richard

Richard: thanks for the information.

I will look for that article. I do not have a complete set of FWW, but the cabinet and the article seems very familiar to me.

Agree with you on Tage Frid. He always struck as being not only an “old world/old school” craftsman, but a gentleman who would gladly share his experiences with anyone who was interested. I would liked to sit down and talk with him over dinner and watch him work. His books were an inspiration to me. And as you say, sadly not much mention is made of him these days.

For those unaware of Tag Frid:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w.../tage_frid.htm

Not as pretty as some, but it works functionally for me right now. I just reorganized the cabinet and have managed to get many more tools inside. Eventually, I plan to build a new and larger cabinet.

Workshop 002a.jpg