Thread: Anyone use the Triton Wood Storage System?

Question Anyone use the Triton Wood Storage System?

Right now I have all my wood stored on wire shelves (the type they use in restaurants) and I am looking for a better way to store them. Right now I have to pull the boards out towards the garage door since the posts prevent me from just yanking them out, and if I have a board at the bottom of the stack I have to pull out a lot of wood. I have been looking at the Triton wood storage system that gets installed on the wall. They claim that it can hold up to 110lbs per level but I am not sure how to calculate that based on the wood that I have how much it would hold. The wall I would attach it to is an outside wall so I would assume that it can take the weight as well.

I have a 2 car garage for my shop so I would like to get the wood up further so I can store my jointer underneath the wood, and reclaim some of that space.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Michael.

I dont know about Triton but for years I used the heavy metal shelf standards and the 18" shelf supports attached to my garage wall with #12, 3" wood screws. I just bought them at home d. they worked great. I loaded them with hwatever I wanted and never had a problem. I would put three or four sections per 4 foot standard. That way when I wanted the board on the bottom, which is typical, I didnt have to dig so deep. Put one on every stud and the weight distribution is great. Hope this helps,

I just looked up Triton. I would bet the system I use is rated much higher for weight. I would store 12' 8/4 oak with no problem. IMHO
    Last edited by Martin Lutz; 02-18-2005 at 6:16 PM.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Michael, the storage system that WOOD Magazine did a few years ago is really nice, inexpensive to construct and...made of wood. And alternative that I also like is inserting iron pipe "supports" into slightly angled holes drilled in uprights that are fastened to the wall. I have a friend in Colorado who did that method and it works really well. Extra holes means you can change level heights later if your needs change.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a homeade system with pipe. I bought 10' lengths of pipe at the borg and had them cut it into 2' pieces and used inexpensive pipe insulation to separate the wood from the pipe. The pipes slip into holes in a structure built from 2x6's and the whole thing is lag bolted to the poles in my pole barn.

I saw the Triton at Rockler, and bought equivalent equipment from HD for about $65. Either way works, but that extra $10? Only you know.

I made a lumber rack by gluing & screwing together a 2x4 frame with boards rabbited in at the top & bottom to run wood bolts through into the studs & I also lag bolted a 2x4 underneath the rack that the rack sets on. In the 2x4 up rights & drilled holes a a 3 degree upward angle for 1/2" pipe to fit into. Right now I have 100 board feet of white oak on it as well as small amounts of other lumber. You can see it here.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\A1 Pictures\A1 myshop\CMS & Lumber rack.jpg
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

i have the triton, love the small and strong design. i didn't care to make my own since i don't have tools to work metal and for the size i wanted, the triton was ready to go and up on the wall in 30minutes. i wish i had room for a larger one, but that'll do

sascha

Here's another Triton user. I have mine mounted at a height to move my TS under it when not in use, it has been excellent. It doesn't hold a very large "volume" of wood but has served me very well so far. I used a bathroom scale as I was loading each rack with wood to make sure I wasn't overloading it and didn't reach the max weight before I ran out of room (using 4/4 cherry and a bit of maple). Mine went together easily and was holding lumber in a few hours.

Erin

I use the heavy duty standards from Menards mounted on every stud with a 3 3/4 inch screw. I have the 14" bracket and the 9" bracket.

Tom

Triton

I also have the Triton and it is working out very well.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    I made a lumber rack by gluing & screwing together a 2x4 frame with boards rabbited in at the top & bottom to run wood bolts through into the studs & I also lag bolted a 2x4 underneath the rack that the rack sets on. In the 2x4 up rights & drilled holes a a 3 degree upward angle for 1/2" pipe to fit into. Right now I have 100 board feet of white oak on it as well as small amounts of other lumber. You can see it here.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\A1 Pictures\A1 myshop\CMS & Lumber rack.jpg
    Hi Bart,

I could see it there if I had access to your computer - perhaps you could try again and give us a better link?

Thanks,

JM