Thread: Dropped my router, I think its a sign

Dropped my router, I think its a sign

I was trying to change bits in my Hitachi MV12 router a couple nights ago and it dropped onto the table and the black handle part of its wimpy PIA lift assembly broke off. Its the stock assembly that came with the router for free a couple years back and I've always hated it. So I looked into buying a new router lift and then decided why not try and glue it....well that didn't work, so It looks like God wants me to have a new lift. I see that the woodpeck plungelift is popular as is the router raizer. Problem is I already have a nice phenolic plate, so the router raizer makes more sense. But the plungelift is only $39 dollars more and it comes with a better router plate, and I think most people agree the plungelift is better. So I should just get the plungelift and then wait for a deal on another router to mount into my existing plate and use that as a permanent set-up with no lifter....right? I think I just solved my dilemma while typing

Does the plungelift ever go on sale or is $129 the everyday low price?
    Last edited by Tim Morton; 02-18-2005 at 9:10 PM.

Sounds like a Very Good Plan to me, Tim. From all the reports here, I recommended the Plunge Lift to a Friend of mine That I'm building a RT for, (if I EVER get over this Crud so I can get back in the shop to Finish it), and when the Plunge lift came in I was really impressed with it, and I really do like the insert system. A new M-12V will be mounted on this one also. I think three inserts come with it, but they have a kit with several more. (course, now that my Buddy has one, I'll probably have to have one too before long)http://sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php...te=1&p=147497#
    Smilie

Go to the Woodpeckers Website and sign up for their E-mail news letter, as they're always having 1 week sales on different items, Including the Plunge Lift at various times, but I think $119 was the lowest I've seen it, so it may not be worth the wait.

Last edited by Norman Hitt; 02-18-2005 at 9:50 PM.

The plungelift is nice. I have my M12V in one. I'm pretty sure I paid more than $129 for it a few years ago.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    It looks like G@@ wants me to have a new lift.
    Tim, Tim, Tim...

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

For shame even!

The message is clear.

Give up the demonic fork-tailed devils and join the enlightened side of woodworking.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Here is a thought for you... The Milwaukee 5625-20 router, it a 3 1/2 HP Router with above the table height adjustment. If you add up the cost of the Hitachi and the lift mechanism, it could be more than the cost of the Milwaukee alone. Amazon has it for
    $285 less 25 bucks and free shipping. Something to chew on... when I get some bucks I will most likely go this route.

I was able to fabricate a replacement handle on it, and since i have 10 projects going on at once and not getting any of them done, I have come up with a new rule for myself...finsh a project and get a new tool..finsish all my projects and get a new bandsaw. But NO new projects until these are finsished. I have bags from HD sitting in piles on the floor...some for the electrical, some for the DC, some for my outfeed table....some for organizing the shop. its all bad!!! ..off to finish patching the drywall where i ripped out a kneewall while the LOML was on her cruise. She won't miss the kneewall...but if she comes home tomrrorrow night with a hole in the wall....again.....its all bad!!!