Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane Till plans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Plane Till plans

Hi Folks,

At the request of a couple of members I looked for and found the sketches of the plane till I made 10 years ago. The dimensions can be easily varied to suit your own needs. Note that the frame material was a full 1" thick poplar so you might have to vary the dimensions of the rabbets and dadoes to suit your own particular thickness of stock. I will make a separate post in this thread with pictures of the till under construction and finished. The dividers are resawn pieces of scrap mahogany cutoffs surfaced down to 1/4" thickness and housed in stopped dadoes.

Warning, there were electrons killed in the making of this storage unit. There was no way I was going resaw by hand all the dividers and I had no masochistic desire to do 60 stopped dadoes with a hand saw, chisel, and router plane. The paint is Lexington Green milk paint and it is finished with paste wax. The knobs for the lifting section are turned from ebony and finished with shellac.

I hope the plans are of use to you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Till Pictures

Here are the pictures of the till under construction
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Completed Till pictures

Here are the pix of the completed till.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave, thanks for posting this. I need to make some tool storage and this gives me some ideas.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Thanks you for posting the plans, Dave... and that's one mighty nice layout (and collection of tools) you've got on that wall.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

If you have plans for the saw till, please post them also. Thanks.

Yes, that saw till is quite nice.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

I do not have plans for the saw till. The original plans were posted on the Old Tools List and on Jon Gunterman's shavings.net site which is now defunct. If you google "saw till" you will find a number of plans by different folks with all sorts of variations. There are even threads about saw tills here on the Creek which you can find with the search function.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks for the search suggestion. Found what looks like your till here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...or-Plans/page2. See post 20.

Yes, Brian's post of the plans are what my till was based on. Please note that the dovetails for the top back piece of the till are a serious weak point and are very likely to break off. A better solution would be a stopped dado and then screwing the piece in place from the sides. Alternately, you could hold the top of the till together with a piece fitted on top and dovetailed into place. Dovetails cut into face grain are never a good solution.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 08-02-2011 at 3:37 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

WOW, Dave, that plane till and the saw till look amazing. In fact your entire tool wall looks beautiful and useful. I really need to build something like this, as I don't have a good place for my planes. Thanks for posting the plans. I may just need to build something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I do not have plans for the saw till. The original plans were posted on the Old Tools List and on Jon Gunterman's shavings.net site which is now defunct. If you google "saw till" you will find a number of plans by different folks with all sorts of variations. There are even threads about saw tills here on the Creek which you can find with the search function.
    Is this possibly the one? I used this plan myself with a few modifications to build mine.

http://web.archive.org/web/200801030...t/sawtill.html

Take care,
    Daryl

till_divider.jpgtill_drawer.jpgtill_front.jpgtill_side.jpg

Just gorgeous! Your earlier posts showing these were a strong influence when I built mine. I hadn't seen that much of your tool wall before. That's also the solution I've used, and I really like it.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

The pictures of the tool wall are way out of date. It is always a work in progress as things get rearranged, new items are added, and stuff that was in my tool chest or a drawer finally gets hung up. I agonized for months over whether to build a wall hanging tool cabinet or go with the tool wall. Knowing my tendency to be a slob and not put things away unless it's convenient, I went with the tool wall. For me personally it is more conducive to putting something away immediately after use rather than letting it collect on the bench and then roll off onto the floor and get dinged or broken. It also provides quicker access than having to open and close the door or doors of a tool cabinet. With the main work area between the bench and the tool wall everything is in easy reach and gets put back as soon as it is no longer needed. Any shop setup and tool organization and storage arrangement needs to reflect your own personal work habits.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Yes, I went through exactly the same agonizing and reasoning! I have similar habits, and need to have the convenient "instant-put-it-away" storage to keep things from piling up.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.