Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rutilus Flamma!

Rutilus Flamma!

Double D throws around those Latin names all the time, and since I can't produce the level of quality and pizzazz that he does, I thought using a Latin title for this one might elevate the turning somewhat!! The translation would be The Red Flame - a much more fitting title for this hillbilly!

This was another dye experiment on curly maple. The piece was dyed black and sanded back with the exception of the beaded rim, which was left black.

I then airbrushed yellow dye from the top to the shoulder, decreasing the intensity as I went down. After the yellow dried, I turned the piece over and airbrushed bright red up and over the shoulder, again decreasing the amount of dye as I went upward. The hope was a fade from red - orange - yellow. However, the red dye is much more intense than is the yellow, and overpowers it quickly. Were I to attempt this again, I would ease off the red much quicker. There is barely any red on the top of the lid, yet it nearly killed the yellow.

Live and learn!!

Finish is a few coats of spray shellac to set the dye, wet sanded with MS, and 4-5 coats of satin WOP, wet sanded back with 600, and triple buffed with Ren wax. Dimensions are 5"w x 6.5"t, and the walls are just under 1/8". The interior is dyed black, with no finish. I did sand out the interior to 400grit, and lightly sanded again with 400 after the dye application (water based black dye.) Ended up with a very nice interior, and although a little of the lighter color of the maple shows through in a couple of spots (both on the interior and underside of the lid) I kind of like the transparency vs. opaque black.

The finial is African Blackwood, sanded out to 2,000 and Ren wax. The neck on this finial is just over .05" in thickness.

The form is a little different, but I hope some of you like it. Again, I am out in the woods here, and doing my own thing. I have retreated significantly from viewing the works of others in hope of reaching my inner self for inspiration. We will see how that works!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (106.3 KB, 197 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (104.5 KB, 166 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (103.8 KB, 220 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (102.5 KB, 173 views)

I like it John! Love the rich colors, the curly coming through and the unique form! Reminds me a little of a pagoda on the top half and the organic HF has a great natural shape to it! The curve in that portion reminds me of a bag of sand or a water balloon!

Pretty cool work! Looking forward to seeing what's next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I would note that "rutilus" is also the name for certain types of fish, also known more commonly as "roaches." Not to cast any aspersions, mind you, because I think this piece is beautiful. I really like the way it flows. It reminds me of pictures of minarets on churches in the middle east, particularly Turkey. Not that I've been there. I'll be interested to see how your experiment of not looking so much at others' work turns out -

John, that is a great looking piece. The form looks very original, I take it that is what you were looking for. I think you killed it with the name, it looks like flames. Great job once again.

I keep going back to the third pic (2.jpg) and I love it. This is just an amazing dye job on a fantastic form. Well done, sir.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

John that is beautiful. Really a nice, pleasing form and the dye really sets it off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

7. Very interesting piece, John..........I can see Steve's pagoda reference......the finial and the lid has faint hints of that style, while what her Honor, Ms. Schaewe, notices a bit of the mid eastern arabic shapes.........I also see that as well. The form is unique and of course your finish is always top notch.........the coloration in my opinion would have been great if it had gone the full 360 degrees around the form [more of the yellow and orange]

If this is what is in your inner self..........I am wondering what has influenced you..........the shapes that somehow got planted in ones mind over decades of living life..........they must to some degree inform what we create.........that would be true of any turner..........I find that aspect facinating to say the least.

Trips to the far east, or middle east, or documentaries we have seen on those areas...........pictures in books.......art we have been exposed to..............

Finding a point of inspiration from all those possible influences [and others which I have not mentioned] and then being able to put your finger on it, and identify it as the reason you made the form you did..............I would say that is going to be a hard part of your quest for knowing why you do what you do in creating this and other forms you will do in the future...........hummmmn...........just thinking.......

Let me know when you can say this is what inspired me, and maybe you will have come up with your signature style.........happy hunting John..........very nice work on this.........very nice indeed!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-03-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

WOW!! That is some great work!! Very impressive.

Hi John, I LIKE it!!! Great form and beautiful effect. Try this some time. Use a black gel stain for your base color on curly maple. Use gel instead of penetrating stain. Sand back leaving a lot of the maple bare with a hint of the black. Air brush with several dyes....yellow, green, burgandy, etc. I am looking forward to seeing some of you work in Ohio.
    I turn, therefore I am

very nice, i agree with Kathy,
    pictures of minarets on churches in the middle east
    , it does flow from base thru finial.

keep reaching

The form doesn't do much for me, probably my lack of taste, but I really like the color and the way the dye makes the curly stand out.

John, I congratulate you on your current voyage in the form experimentation. You, like myself, are searching for that "new form". This is a good example of your journey, because it differs so much from your previous work and yet the combination of skills you aquired while producing those previous forms, were needed to execute this new form. I like the darker coloring and although it wasn't what you had envisioned, it turned out very nice. The shape of a fat bottom form appeals to me and I have turned a few forms that were "fat bottomed". I like the fact that you left the hangover lip on the lid. This form needed a break point at the lid.

To offer a critique I would say that there isn't much to offer as a negative. I dont think the shape of the lid is "quite right" but I am unsure if a stronger cove or a domed lid would appeal more. Hard to say.

Very nice work. Now hurry up and get the next one done so we can see it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Looks good John, love the form and the dye ,really nice.

The coloring is awesome! I really like the form but I would love to see a domed lid that continued the upward sweep at the top of the form. The finial is beautiful. Overall a very nice piece of work...
    David DeCristoforo

John,
    I thought DD was throwing around Italian names, but what do I know. I barley speak English. Anyway, I digress..... The piece is beautiful. I love the color and the form and it surely would make DD proud.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."