Thread: Looking for alternate material

Looking for alternate material

I have a customer that we vector cut detailed parts for. We used remark's ADA material, 1/8" thick in charcoal color for a job for them and they loved it. The problem is, now they want to use it all the time. For the job we did, the parts were small and the material cost wasn't a huge deal. However, they are making larger and larger parts now and that ADA material is 1/8" thick is about $20 for a quarter sheet.

Previously, we had used 1/8" black acrylic. They are now saying they like the charcoal ADA material because they think the edges look better on their product because it's essentially a matte finish all the way through, where as the acrylic is shiny on the edges, which they don't like.

So I'm looking for an alternative and coming up dry. I've been to plastic suppliers and their only suggestions were ABS or Styrene, both which are a bit too melty for the application. When cut, they tend to roll up a melt edge, which we can't have on this product because it's got a glue sheet attached to it and something gets stuck to it. So a rolled up melted edge would cause that not to work.

They just love that ADA material because it cuts super clean and sharp edges.

Anyone got any suggestions for an alternate material to that? I've shopped around, tried to work deals, etc., all to hit a brick wall.

Rowmark calls is a "modified acrylic". Plastic suppliers have no idea what that is, or where it fits into their product line.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Can you try scuffing the edges of acrylic with a sander? That may take the shine off. Of course it's added labor too. I imagine the glue sheet wouldn't allow you to cut on your CNC either. Maybe that would leave less of a shiny edge.
    HTH
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

They are small parts with a great deal of detail in them. No time/cost allowed to do anything to the edges once it's cut. We're talking about items that are about 1 1/2" square in size (they aren't square, but that's the rough size), double sided tape on both sides prior to cutting.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Steve

If I'm not mistaken this stuff is available in black. Don't know how it engraves but it is otherwise great to work with.

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW PE)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steve

If I'm not mistaken this stuff is available in black. Don't know how it engraves but it is otherwise great to work with.

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW PE)
    Look for a product called Tivar 1000. You should be able to get it from Piedmont Plastics Steve. That one is made in black
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

UHMW PE does not engrave properly. The material melts, sits in a puddle and then re-hardens, so all you see is a slight variation in the surface of the stuff.

Cutting is OK. Lots of power and air-assist to blow out the molten plastic.
    To keep the cut edges nice, masking tape top and bottom helps, but BEWARE OF FLAREUPS since if the tape gets at all loose it encourages the fumes to catch fire.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Michael

Does that apply to material of 1/8" thickness?

I use the stuff in the wood shop and love it but mine is all 1/2" and I've never had occasion to engrave it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Im sure if you up the price , it might convince them to use the cheaper material , alternatively , you can try source the material from china t most likely 1/4 of the cost, another strategy is to lower ppi when vector cutting to achieve a less polished edge , you can really whack up air assist when cutting the black acrylic to "blast" levels which generally gives acrylic a far more frosted and less polished edge.
    BTW , FYI black 1/8th grade A virgin acrylic ex china is $30 for a 25 sq ft sheet
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Michael

Does that apply to material of 1/8" thickness?
    I've mostly cut 1mm or 1.5mm (1/16"), but have done some 3mm (~1/8") occasionally.
    The 3mm is on the edge of being non-do-able with my 60W : the melt tends to weld the cuts together again leading to some work with a knife to separate the bits.

The stuff I do is natural (milky translucent). The properties might be a bit better with black due to the carbon dust colouring it.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Thanks for the input. I wish I could get to the China ADA product in this case. However, I don't need a container full of it and I don't know where to get it where you can buy it by the sheet. I think it's probably exactly the right choice in this case, if I could find it and not have to pay a fortune shipping it across the world.

There is no engraving on it, just vector cutting material that has adhesive tape on both sides.

Larry, I'm working with Piedmont on it, so I'll mention the product you mentioned and see if that rings a bell with them.

They are fine going back to the acrylic if they have to, they would just rather use this type material if they can.

Steve

You might also put in a call to Scott Johnson of Southeast Plastics.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7